Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet 111
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I have been using an HP Designjet 111 for about 4 years now.   I print large engineering diagrams that are 3-5' feet long.  I don't use it very much.   I can go 2-3 months without priting anything and then print a dozen diagrams in 2-3 days.  Just recently I've noticed that the printer runs out of magenta ink when it is about 80% finished printing a diagram.  If I try to print a second diagram immediately there is no magenta.  If I wait 2-3 hours it's OK again.  It seems the print head is not being refilled in a timely manner.  Is this a sign of a failed printhead or is the hose from the ink resevour somehow clogged or is it something else?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That is an indication of air in the tube assembly. Best solution is to get a new printhead first and before you install it take a syringe and stick the needle in the front where the pin of the printhead usually fits and then draw that color ink into the syringe so as to remove any air from the tube. You may have to draw a couple of times depending on the size of the syringe. After air has been remove, put in the new head and things should be back to normal. The reason for the loss and then flow again is that when the air pocket gets into the printhead it prevents the ink from flowing in the head. When printing stops, over time the ink seeps thru the pocket so you get some printing before it happens again.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

That is an indication of air in the tube assembly. Best solution is to get a new printhead first and before you install it take a syringe and stick the needle in the front where the pin of the printhead usually fits and then draw that color ink into the syringe so as to remove any air from the tube. You may have to draw a couple of times depending on the size of the syringe. After air has been remove, put in the new head and things should be back to normal. The reason for the loss and then flow again is that when the air pocket gets into the printhead it prevents the ink from flowing in the head. When printing stops, over time the ink seeps thru the pocket so you get some printing before it happens again.

HP Recommended

davidzuts,

Thank you.   That makes sense and you have given me the information I need to correct the problem as well.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.