cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
PrepressNewb
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

How do I get my colors to print to the correct color value

HP Recommended
HP Indigo 5600

I recently was assigned the task of learning prepress operations for my company. We aquired an HP Indigo 5600 digital press and my boss wants to incorporate this into our business. I have a degree in IT Multimedia and years of experience in using adobe products for web design and video production, but have never worked in a printing evironment, so there is a learning curve.  So here is my inquiry.

How to I get the color I input into Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop/InDesign on my image to print as the same color value. For example, I desgnated a square on an image to be filled with Pantone color 801c, but when I printed it on the press the color value was Pantone color 2995c. I used an X-Rite IPro2 to scan preset color swatches printed from the printer we are going to be using, and created an ICC profile. I exported the Image as a PDF with the custom ICC profile embedded, but instead of getting me closer to my target color value, it shifted everyhting further away and even turned all my white space on the image purple. I feel like I am on the right track but I am not sure. Like I said, I am still learning the prepress operations and I will continue to research further, however, any help or advice is appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
jasonmiamifl
Level 7
880 810 37 84
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I never seen or hand on your model printer.

I recommend you do the basic followings :

download that printer's  icc profiles from hp website, then unzip & install  .
(   not sure how those icc profile install on your printer ,      maybe via    utility   or other means )

perform Color calibration for the media loaded to the printer, also do printhead alignment ....

if photos, images  etc     convert to the printer icc profile.

when you print it out & use that icc profile for that media loaded ...

Myself use same method all the time & get pretty good match colors on canvas, photo papers etc.

I deal with mostly with artists , photographers & they were very picky ...

From time to time, different images/photos/documents might not work right... pay attentions...

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation