cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
wuahhu
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Printer crashes when trying to print directly

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I just purchased a HP OfficeJet Pro 7740. Everytime I try to directly print from a laptop, the printer just crashes and displays the following screen:

Error screen

It scans fine, I can see it on the network. I can access the web page for the printer. I can even print on the printer using the Web Address options. I just can't print directly.. not even a test page!

I have tried printing via wired network, wireless network and USB all with the same crash result ON the printer every time.

I have checked firmware on the printer and my router - both appear to be up to date.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit and have installed the full driver/software package.

Any suggestions or solutions?  It's driving me insane!

3 REPLIES 3
sabretooth04
Level 14
21,074 20,150 1,541 3,527
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Since you just purchased it, take it back for refund or replacement.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
wuahhu
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks.. I'm almost there, but that's not super helpful. I have seen the identical error posted online before, but no solution I could find.  Unfortunately there aren't too many large format print/scan optiosn available.  I feel like it HAS to be just some type fo driver issue or simple conflict... then everything would be great.  My need is immediate so looking for a solution rather than just a refund.

Anyone else have any other thoughts?

wuahhu
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

SOLUTION - Well workaround..  So I am unsure how this worked, but it did for me.  After trying all the HP suggestions - power cycle, resets, making sure it is plugged directly to the wall, etc. - none of which worked - I stumbled across a solution by accident.  for whatever reason, this works for me.  I am posting in case someone else is having the same issue and Google's this.

After physically installing the printer and getting it up and running on the network.  Then I install the printer using the HP installation package auto install - but DO NOT print anything, not even a test page.  THEN,  I manually installed the printer using the Windows Printer installation process based on IP address, but manually chose the HP Universal Printer Driver as the driver (even though that is wrong.)  Then I went ahead and printed a test page after installation.  While the print does not come out correctly, it DOES come out and the printer does not lock up.  I just get a print with garbage characters on it.

BUT, after I get that bad print to go through the printer.... suddenly, the printer is fine and prints fine on the correct installation.  I don't know why it clears the problem.. but it worked for me.. more than once.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation