cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
WymansWorkshop
3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Re: connecting 650C to PC

HP Recommended

Could you please help me out? I have a 650c and have been plotting on an old laptop with xp, but that laptop is on the fritz... Could you give me some guidance as to how I could print using my modern computers? I have a dell with windows 7, no parralel port obviously, and I have one of those usb to parralel conveters. How can I get a driver to work? you went with ethernet? is that better? Thanks

Nate

5 REPLIES 5
meat1820
Level 4
109 100 8 16
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is your Dell  a laptop or desktop? Does your 650c have an ethernet card installed in the back of it?

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Gloriadeb
Level 1
12 5 0 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

May I suggest you try myolddesignjet.com.

She gives personal attention and helps a lot!

WymansWorkshop
Author
3 2 0 1
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My 650c has a JetDirect card on the back. I couldn't seem to find any drivers that would work on my 64bit dell laptop, so I have another old laptop, an old Acer, that has windows 7 on it. I got the drivers succefully on that computer, but I cant get it to comunicaate with the 650c. I plugged the 650c into my wireless routerand printed out its current config. It had its IP address set to 205.166.244.150, my Acer could not find it. I read somewhere that if you rest the card it the address would be 192.0.0.192. I couldnt figure out how to reset it, so I just manually changed it to that. I am still getting no luck.. I dont really know what Im doing, I am fumbling around reading forums, and I dont understand how it should work.

meat1820
Level 4
109 100 8 16
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
WymansWorkshop
Author
3 2 0 1
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks! this defintely got me going... I thought I'd share exactly what I did for any other IT noob. So on my 32bit acer laptop with windows 7, went to start, typed "cmd" to open the command prompt. I typed "arp -a" this showed me every IP address on my network. Mine had 192.168.1.x    1-11 were taken so I manually set my printer to 192.168.1.12. To do this on the 650c, hit enter then "up key" to I/O config, enter "up" again to yes... Someone else mentioned on here about needing the up key to get to certain menus, but I thought Id reiterate. Its a little counter intuitive to need that to access the full menu..... but basically, config the I/O, set it to config tcp/ip = yes, then you can manually change the numbers.. So I set it to 192.168.1.12... I had the printer pluged into my router by the way. Went back to my Acer laptop, and again typed "arp -a" and 192.168.1.12 did not show up, strange. I did the same thing on my 64bit Dell and there it was on the list... so again on my Acer I typed "ping 192.168.1.12" and voila, it communicated perfect. Now when I went to add a new printer, and typed in the IP address, it found everything and worked perfect.... I still haven't tried to print from the 64bit windows 8, but that will be next. For now, im gald to have a computer printing on it again

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation