cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
FrankieW1
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Working fine with Linux Mint 18 but won't with either Windows 7 or 10. No test page printing.

HP Recommended
DesignJet 500 24 by HP
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I dual boot my Dell Optiplex 755 SFF pc. 

Linux Mint 18 is the prefered OS. works perfectly, and both my multi-purpose Canon printer and the DesignJet work are recognised and perform very well.

I installed Windows 10 Home as a second OS. and it works with the Canon printer okay but refuses to co-operate with the DesignJet. After this I changed the install to Windows 7 Home Premium with similare results.

I have installed and uninstalled the DesignJet several times and even talked to Microsoft Support for two hours but to no avail.

Has anyone any ideas as to a solution for my problem?

regards

FrankieW1

7 REPLIES 7
davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How is the printer connected? When you send a test page is there any error message on the control panel of the plotter? If you do not have the gl2 card in this plotter you need to use the pcl3 driver.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
FrankieW1
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Printer wired to LPT1 with large pin connectors ( can't think of the name of the connector).   Not USB.

Has error message saying "error processing job - flushing rest of job".

Have tried to download and replace driver with plc3 one but not very good at it and the download does seem to be picked up.

Sorry but I am not very clever with computers but I do try.

regards

FrankieW1

davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are you using 32bit or 64 bit. Since this is a parallel connection it should work, howver, the message tells me the plotter is running out of memory or not understanding the job. If 32bit if you go into the properties of the driver and then click on advanced and then click on the troubleshooting icon, you check the box send job as bitmap (process in computer) which will help if memory is the issue.

FrankieW1
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a 64 bit machine and I have used the plotter for fairly large CAD drawings in the past without memory problems.

However, this was on a very ancient machine with Windows 98SE installed and maybe it is a question of the plotter not liking more modern Windows systems.

I am just trying to do the Test Page at present so there shouldn't be a memory issue and I have no other jobs stored in the plotter.

Not having a driver installation disk, I have been trying to install in the "Have Disk" section but it says the folder containing the downloaded files has no driver files in it.

I am really grateful for your help davidzuts

As I am using 64bit does the same thing apply regarding driver properties?

davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Go to the link below and download tghe pcl2gui driver. After you download you run the program by clicking on it twice. In the box that comes up change the directory to C:\500 and click on unzip. Now when you reload or change the current driver you say have disk and then navigate to the C:\500 folder which should have an inf file already highlighted and if not just highlight it. and continue and follow the instructions on the screen.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-designjet-500-printer-series/25301/swI...

FrankieW1
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your further instructions which I followed faithfully.

Unfortunately, when I tried to install the driver I got a message saying " The folder you specified doesn't contain driver software for your device. Select a folder that contains your driver software and try again".

I carried out the process three times, using the pcl file each time but with no result.

I could not understand the details within the .inf file - there wer no instructions just program details.

The READ ME file contained similar instructions to those you have given me already and do not work.

FrankieW1
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Problem Solved!!

I tried using a USB cable borrowed from my Canon MX725 printer and everything leapt into life!

I think there must have been a fault on the parallel cable.

Windows detected the printer but could not read the driver.

Thank you very much for all your help. It was much appreciated.

regards

FrankieW1

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation