cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
Carma-ck
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Z3200PS - Printhead replacement incomplete message and can't resolve - red/black printhead

HP Recommended
Design Jet Z3200PS Photo
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

We have been without our Z3200PS for a year.  Two expensive repairman visits and finally gave up and ordered a new printer.  Before we threw this one away I decided to work on it and after 3 days have found the simple and obvious problem.  Someone had ordered a new printhead for Red/Black and had forced a 70 printhead in to replace a 73 printhead.  As a result no matter what we did we could not get past the printhead test in the startup menu and it took all this time and effort to figure out the simple and obvious.

I guess some Z4300 models use red-70 instead of chormatic red-73.  If your red ink cartridge is red-73, then your printhead must be red-73.  Simple and obvious when you know the answer.

I hope this helps somebody spend a lot less time and effort on this and perhaps not discard a good machine in frustration.

1 REPLY 1
D Hook
Level 7
871 818 36 100
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good for you finding the problem instead of putting it down!

I've had good luck swapping printheads in the 1000 series and 5000 series printers (HP 80 and 81) but had to swap the chips on the back of each printhead to make it work.  Tried it with an HP 90 just the other day and didn't work.  But you also have to damage (break off) the little tabs so it will physically fit into the slot.  Someone must have tried that with yours too.  I've only done it out of desperation.

Many good years left in that printer I bet.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation