Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
DesignJet 5500 PS
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I just replaced the carriage belt on my 5500 PS and successfully put it all back together and started it up. It went through initialization, asked me to feed paper, which I did successfully, and then it began to calibrate the printheads. I watched as it completed light magenta, cyan, etc., but it always freezes up at some point during this process, giving me a system error always begging in 0c0040 and making me power the machine off and on. The scant advice I've found point towards printhead issues, but I need more to work on. Any help?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

When it goes to the calibration function, have you tried hitting "cancel" and see if it will bypass that test so you can get to the diagnostics screen?

Here's a post about same error code:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bpp03890

Not sure if you've tried these already.

Yes, you can try the water soak method of unclogging the printheads and it sometimes is very successful.  Small bowl with hot water in the bottom but just enough to submerge the nozzles, not whole print head.  Let sit for a few minutes.  Then gently touch the printhead nozzles to a piece of lint-free cloth, usually a coffee filter works well, to absorb the moisture.  Try to resist the urge to wipe the printhead nozzles.  When you blot the printhead to the coffee filter you should see two lines of ink.  If not, try soaking a little longer.  Some printheads justr won't come back, some will.  Sure there's no air in the lines?  Any bubbles you can see in the clear portion of the ink supply lines on the back of the printer?

Google "Oc0040" and some other solutions come up.  Also, google "Designjet 5500 Service Manual" and you should find a downloadable PDF that might help.

Best of luck!

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

Great suggestions, thanks so much!

HP Recommended

Well, I soaked the nozzles and tried to start up again, but same things happened - it automatically starts "calibrating printheads" but when it gets to 70% (and I believe working on Light Magenta) it gives the system error starting with a "0c0040" code.

However, on the next try, your advice of hitting "cancel" did successfully get past this "calibrating printheads" step, although the cancel took 7 or 8 minutes. So, I sent it a print job, which failed, but gave me a different error, see the attached photo?

Any new leads based on this error? I checked the tubes and cables to the best of my ability.IMG_5334.jpeg

HP Recommended

Is it printing a calibration page?  Can you post a picture of what's it's printing?

I'll look up the calibration error 3110 code and see what it says.

BTW, you say the error code starts with 0c0040.  Is that the whole code that it's showing or is there more to it?

EDIT:  Looks like there's a problem with the black printhead:

Calibration Error: 3110
Problem
Description:
Black Printhead does not allow paper advance calibration.
Corrective Action: Try the following:
 Recover the Black Printhead ⇒ Page 6-15.
 Replace the Black Printhead

Here's a webpage with the service manual in PDF:  http://www.partshere.com/models/q1252a/q1252a_service_calibrations.pdf

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

Thank you! I will try it in the morning and let you know.

There is more to the error code, for example I have gotten 0c004000000076 and 0c0040000000b3

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.