Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet z3100 Photo
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Having a bit of trouble with our printer....

We replaced the drive belt so that was an easy fix. The tough one is that its giving us a Paper Jam warning. The paper isnt jamming. I moved it towards the center of the machine an inch and the printer head stops in the same place saying paper jam. Any ideas what could be causing this?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Do you have a service manual for the printer?

Are you sure you got the encoder strip placed into the carriage correctly?  And the rear bushing?

Does the carriage move easily by hand with the printer shut off?

Sometimes that paper jam error will pop up but for other reasons than a paper jam.  It's usually whenever the carriage meets any kind of resistance to movement.  You'll want to go back and double check all your work.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

No service manual.

To the best of my knowledge its in the right spot.

yes it moves easily

Ill check again but so far things look ok.

HP Recommended

Free download of service manual:  https://www.printertec.com.br/arquivos_download/dsjz2100.pdf

I would check the rear bushing to be sure it's properly seated and also the encoder strip to be sure it's running through the sensor as it should be.

HP Recommended

That rear bushing costs a small fortune so i glued mine back together. I also made a 3d file of it so i can print one out if it breaks again.

As for the encoder strip, I believe it is in the right spot. I might have to re oil it but that oil also costs an arm and a leg.

HP Recommended

The bushings are available on ebay for very little....$15-20 or so.  I think I paid about $20 for three of them a year ago or so.  If you have the part number you can search that way.

The oil from HP for lubricating the silver rails inside the printer that the carriage rides on is disturbingly expensive.  But you can substitute a good quality teflon spray like TriFlow.  Spray on a paper towel and wipe on.  What ever you do, don't use WD-40.  It's not a good lubricant but a water displacement spray.  It will become gummy on the rails and will cause further problems which will require another removal of the carriage to fix.

The encoder strip should travel inside the carriage through the sensor.  Tough to see when assembled.  It requires no lubrication and will be ruined if you do lubricate it.

Printing out the rear bushing is a great idea.  As long as you're using the correct material.  That rear bushing doesn't carry too much of the load and I've broken a couple when removing the carriage so it's not very strong at all.  If your's are better strength you might be further ahead than the factory ones.

Let us know how you come out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.