Level 5
271 156 10 9
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS changes don't stick

ENVY 23 Touchsmart
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

During boot up, with a bootable DVD in the drive, I changed the "Boot Order" to move the "ATAPI CD/DVD" to the top so that it would boot from a bootable drive to load software. Each time I shut down the computer and started it up, it booted from the DVD as it should. However if I booted the computer, without a DVD in the drive, the next time I tried to boot from a bootable DVD it failed. when I checked the Boot order, the "ATAPI CD/DVD" had been move to the bottom of the boot order.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS changes don't stick

hi 

try updating bios

let me was it helpful

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS changes don't stick

hi 

try updating bios

let me was it helpful

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 5
271 156 10 9
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS changes don't stick

My computer is a HP Envy 23-d160QD and I'm running Windows 10. I'm running Windows 10, but could not find any BIOS on the HP website. I have a copy for Windows 8.1 (sp67050.exe), so I ran it. It did not solve the problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS changes don't stick

BIOS updates are BIOS updates. 

Only rarely is a BIOS update necessary before installing a newer operating system.

So, if you find a BIOS update, it applies to all versions of Windows.

From: HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2ADC)

Type: BIOS

Version: 8.17 Rev.A
Release date: Jan 22, 2015

File name: sp70474.exe (4.4 MB) 

This BIOS update is listed (below) to "supercede" the BIOS-update that you cited:

TITLE: HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2ADC)
VERSION: 8.17 REV: A PASS: 1
DESCRIPTION:  This package provides an update to HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS (ROM Family SSID 2ADC) for supported models running a supported operating system.

SOFTPAQ FILE NAME: SP70474.exe
SUPERSEDES: SP67050

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 5
271 156 10 9
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS changes don't stick

I downloaded  BIOS sp70474 and installed it. It did not help.

I set my Boot Order as following:

1. ATAPI CD/DVD

2. Boot Manager

3. UEFI: IPV4

4. UEFI: IPV6

5. USB Hard drive

6. USB Floppy/CD

AS long as I leave my bootable floppy in the drive, everytime I boot up it allows me to select to boot from the DVD by pressing any key. If I remove the DVD and boot up it goes to the lock and sign in screens as it should. If I place the bootable DVD in the drive and shutdown the computer and then startit backup I do not get the options to boot from the DVD. When I boot up again I find that inthe Boot Order the "ATAPI CD/DVD" has moved to the bottom of the Boot Order.

This Monday, thinking it was the Motherboard CMOS battery I took it inte Staples and had them change the CMOS battery. It did not help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS changes don't stick

> UEFI: IPV4

> UEFI: IPV6

I would remove these two entries.  They are useful only in a centrally-managed corporate computer network, where the IT Department has placed a "boot-server" on the network.  It is extremely-rare for a "home" network to have such a configuration.

> As long as I leave my bootable floppy in the drive, everytime I boot up it allows me to select to boot from the DVD by pressing any key.

I presume that the BIOS detects at least two "bootable" devices, and forces you to choose.

> If I remove the DVD and boot up

> it goes to the lock and sign in screens as it should. 

Did you also remove the bootable floppy from the USB drive, to leave only one "bootable" local device?

After completing the boot without any media in the DVD, insert the media into the DVD device, and shutdown.

Then, when you start-up, is the DVD once again at the "top" of the menu?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 5
271 156 10 9
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS changes don't stick

In the Boot Order I can not delete items, so I disabled them

Do I need to leave the Boot Manager active?

If I bootup with nothng in the DVD drive, the ATAPI CD/DVD does not appear in the list. SO when I bootup with somethng in the dVD drive it appears below the Boot Manager.

I only have one boot item. The choice is a message that appears on the screen. it states to press any key to boot up from the DVD.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS changes don't stick

>  In the Boot Order I can not delete items, so I disabled them

That will be fine.

> Do I need to leave the Boot Manager active?

Yes, if you ever want to boot into Windows.

> I only have one boot item. The choice is a message that appears on the screen.

> it states to press any key to boot up from the DVD.

At this point, the motherboard has already booted from the DVD.

The booted files have detected that there is another available, lower-priority, bootable device -- usually the disk-drive -- and it is asking you to confirm that you want to continue to load more files from the DVD.

If you do not press any key, your computer will boot into Windows.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 5
271 156 10 9
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS changes don't stick

I realize that.

But my problem is not solved. If I set the DVD (1st) and then the Boot Manager (2nd) (all other items disabled) in the Boot Order it works as long as I leave the DVD in the drive EVERYTIME I BOOT. If I boot one time with nothng in the DVD drive it leaves only the BootManager. If I then insert a DVD in the DVD drive and boot up it ALWAYS places the DVD below the Boot Manager and never boots from the DVD.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation