Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 2
18 13 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS problem nothing shows on Screen Help resetting BIOS and CMOS.

HP Z220 Workstation CMT
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello  HP Experts

i tried setting my BIOS to boot into Windows 7 but i enabled some settings that now have caused a blank screen at bookt up. i hope i haven't bricked my BIOS how do i boot into windows 7 from A bootable windows DVD ?? HELP and Advice.

i just want to now reset my BIOS! i have tried pressing the CMOS button its yellow with the graphics card out and peripherals and i cant get the PC to boot up it makes sounds and all but nothing on screen. Would it be safe to take out the CMOS battery?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you can enter BIOS SETUP, there should be an option to "Load default BIOS values".  Try that.

Then, check the list of "bootable" devices, to ensure that it includes your disk-drive.

Please do not go "overboard", and try drastic things, such as the CMOS button, or reloading the BIOS, just yet, before you try the "simple" things.

To compare: an automobile that runs out of gasoline does not necessarily need a new battery, or new tires, or a new paint-job.

Keep it simple.

Don't be afraid to pay a computer technician about $50 for professional trouble-shooting.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
18 13 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i made the mistake "cause i didn't know it was normal for the HP desktop to make loud fan noises" of yanking out the power while the PC was clearing the CMOS i made this mistake of setting the BIOS to something and then it went blank i was lucky to Reset BIOS then i used windows 10 but then it was not working right the start menu was too small on a HP screen etc i played with the BIOS. how ever if i were to power it on again it will still make the Loud fan sounds which means it still wants to Clear CMOS and the BIOS. is it safe to let it make loud fan sounds?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@deanabiepepler wrote:

1. i made the mistake "cause i didn't know it was normal for the HP desktop to make loud fan noises" of yanking out the power while the PC was clearing the CMOS.

2. i made this mistake of setting the BIOS to something and then it went blank

3. i was lucky to Reset BIOS then i used windows 10

4. but then it was not working right the start menu was too small on a HP screen etc

5. i played with the BIOS.

6. how ever if i were to power it on again it will still make the Loud fan sounds which means it still wants to Clear CMOS and the BIOS.

7. is it safe to let it make loud fan sounds?

1. When the computer is trying to update the BIOS, it may stop telling the fan to "slow-down". 

The computer might be "dedicated" to the "update" task, rather than "multi-tasking" to monitor the fan.

2. OK.

3. Lucky, indeed.

4. Windows recognized the "high-definition" capability of the monitor.  Since the "font" used for the "Desktop" is a fixed size, when you draw that small "grid" for each character onto a high-definition monitor, each character will be "small".

Windows 10 lets you set the Desktop to 125% or 150% of "normal", to make the characters bigger.  Perfectly normal -- not a problem with the BIOS.

5. OK.  Moral: never play catch with a hand-grenade.  Nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, ... :Crying:

6. At initial "power-on", the fan does run at 100%, so that the motherboard can "sniff" that the fan is working.

When the motherboard measures the temperatures inside the computer, it tells the fan to "slow down", and thus make quieter sounds. Such sound-levels are *NOT* associated with any "pending" BIOS-updates.

7. It is safe to let it make loud fan sounds, for a few seconds, after a "cold" power-on. It is also somewhat safe to hear the same noises, while using the computer, especially when playing a computer-game, because the computer is working "hard" to run the game.  The game causes the processor to heat-up, and the motherboard reacts to speed-up the fan, to try to reduce the heat, to prevent overheating.  This is "expected" behaviour of the motherboard.

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
18 13 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@deanabiepepler wrote:

is my computer destroyed ? https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/hp-z220-workstation-bios-settings-changed-now-the-pc-wont-b...

It is really annoying and impolite that you have posted the same symptoms to multiple locations. :ThumbDown:

When you power-on the computer, does it "beep"?

Do the beeps make a pattern, e.g., "short, short, long, long, long, long" ?

Power off. If you disconnect the disk-drive, and remove all the RAM, and then power-on, how does it "beep" ?

If there are no "beeps" at all, then you could have bricked it.

Note that HP computers have a procedure for "BIOS Recovery" -- to load a previously-saved version of the BIOS.

Have you tried that?

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation