Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS update - now won't boot through BIOS

HP G71-340US Laptop
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Attempted a BIOS update from HP support and seemed to work but at completion laptop shut down automatically but did not reboot. Waited several minutes and finally powered on manually. Laptop will not go past BIOS loading screen and cannot access BIOS via F2 or F10 as both will show message but then lock up and not proceed further.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,007 5,993 565 1,265
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings davidset,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

Try the BIOS recovery steps found here.

You may have to have the system serviced by HP if the BIOS recovery steps per above don't work.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Although I didn’t indicate it in my original post I had already tried to enter the bios recovery screen using CTRL-B and was unable to enter the recovery screen even after multiple attempts. I unplugged all peripherals, unplugged the power cable, and removed and replaced the battery and held CTRL-B upon power on but could not get past the BIOS load screen. Got the beeping but in this case would just go to a black screen whereas previously I was seeing the BIOS load screen.
CTRl-V would not work to reset my CMOS so I manually removed to CMOS battery and replaced and after trying that several times was able to get the laptop to boot. However l, when I shut down it went back to the same old problem of stopping prior to BIOS load. I tried this multiple times over a couple of days and could get it to reset but then would revert back to problem state after power down.
Finally, after probable 15 or so times removing and replacing CMOS battery the BIOS reset seems to have stuck and now will boot after power off and power on. Success! Not sure exactly why it finally worked as a permanent fix but it did.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Btw, this G71-340US is 9 years old so if this had failed
I wasn’t going to worry about having HP service it. Has an SSD in it which I could pull and access with external drive bay on my PC so I wouldn’t really lose anything. About time to replace this is old thing anyway but it is still trudging along so I’ll keep it for now.
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation