14 11 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

BIOS updating problem

HP Recommended
Pavilion 23 All in One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have had some issues with my All in One PC and have been using the BIOS quite a bit and so looked on the HP support site for my device that has a newer BIOS release that is highly recommended for security purposes.  

I download and run the SP70066.exe file from the support page and this appeart to run okay but when I reboot I am left with the old BIOS release.

I have tried to investigate if there any errors so have found out the following.

The .exe unpacks a flash.bat file into a folder called SWSETUP.  This then runs: safuwin.exe LEE_*17.ROM /p /b /n /r /k

This seems to fail as nothing is updated when I re-boot.

I tried to use the HP BIOS option to update and I navigated to the folder with the .ROM file it would not select it so something must be missing?  I read that it needs a signature file??

I also tried to re-direct the output of the .bat file using > log.txt 2>&1 but got no output.

Any advice on how to proceed much appreciated!!

Thanks,

Andy

3 REPLIES 3
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  This then runs: safuwin.exe LEE_*17.ROM /p /b /n /r /k

Is there a '.sig' file in the same directory as the '.rom' file?

> This seems to fail as nothing is updated when I re-boot.

Did you power-off, then disconnect the AC power, hold-down the ON/OFF button for 15 seconds, reconnect the AC power, reboot, and enter BIOS SETUP?  What BIOS-level is now shown?

Does using "Run As Administrator" make any difference?

Is there any option within the BIOS SETUP to "refuse" any BIOS-update attempt?

0 Kudos
Andy_Power
Author
Level 1
14 11 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi 

Thanks for the reply.  There is no .sig file with the .ROM file - and I suspect that is why when I navigate to this folder from the BIOS update menu option that it does not allow me to select anything.  The HP support site just says to run the .exe file and then re-boot so not sure why it doesn't work - the only thing I suspect is that my PC shipped with Windows 8.1 which I upgraded to 10 - although it would help to be able to see some output from the flash.bat program - but can't find a way to get the output to write to a log file - which may well give some error output.

It may well refuse to do the update but I cannot see the output of the safuwin.exe program to see what happens when it runs.

I tried the power off, AC power out and 15 secs procedure with no change.

0 Kudos
Andy_Power
Author
Level 1
14 11 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I managed to capture the output of the flash.bat command and it is shown in the attached image

BIOS failre.JPG

..so it does seem that even though this is on the HP support page for my exact model of PC it is being rejected as being incorrect for the system.  I'm sure HP will have put the right BIOS at the time - but I think only Windows 8.1 would have been released on my model.  Just wondering if anyone has overcome this issue?

Thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation