Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z240
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a bunch of Z240 running Windows 7 64 bit with encrypted drives. When I send a magic packet it prompts the user for the recovery key. If you power cycle the machine it boots fine. I've tried differnt BIO's settings, changed the boot order as I seen suggested for laptops. Nothing seems to help. I've read about bitlocker network unlock. Not sure if that will help as I'm not using a PIN. Has anyone found a solution to this problem. The machines have the latest firmware and drivers.

Robert

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I ran the following tests...

On the Z240 I suspend bitlocker, shutdown the computer. Power on, enter BIOs, set Disk Drive to first in boot order. Boot into Windows, resume bitlocker. Reboot machine, everything is fine.

Shutdown the machine. Send a magic packet, the machine powers on, displays the RAID info as I would expect, then it starts a network boot, connects to the PXE server, prompts you to hit F12 to continue. After it times out it prompts you for the bitlocker recovery key.

If I powercycle the computer with Intel AMT it boots up normally.

I tested the following computers.

I have a Z220, whose drive is not encrypted, it does not have a TPM chip. When I power it down and send a magic packet it displays the RAID info, followed by

Initializing Intel Boot Agent GE  v1.3.81
PXE 2.1 Build 091  (Wfm 2.0)

but doesn't start the Network boot process, it starts Windows.

I have a Z230 with a bitlocker encrypted drive. Acts the same as the Z220. Shutdown the computer. Send a magic packet. Computer powers up, displays RAID info followed by

Initializing Intel Boot Agent GE v1.3.81
PXE 2.1 Build 091 (Wfm 2.0)

but doesn't start the Network boot process, it starts Windows.

Does this indicate a problem with the Z240 bios, UEFI related, or maybe a design change?

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same issue, with the same machines.

Would be nice if there is any solution for this.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.