Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Boot Device Not Found - Please install an operating system on your hard disk!

HP Recommended
G9D76UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My computer has been having issues to where suddenly when im using it, the screen will go blue say kernel error (or some other error) and restarts. Now upon restart it popped up Boot Device Not Found - Please install an operating system on your hard disk. I did a memory check and it passed. I also did a smart check and a short dst and they both passed, but it continues to do this and idk what i should do next. Someone please help!

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 486 940
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings @beccajoy123

Thanks for the post.

I understand that you are getting a message that says Boot Device not found, is that right?

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Have you made any hardware changes on your computer?

Do you have any external devices connected to your computer?

Shut Down/ Turn off the computer. 

Wait for a minute. 

Turn the computer On and keep tapping F10 repeatedly on startup to enter BIOS/System utility. 

Restore the BIOS to defaults. Save and Exit. 

If the issue persists, download the service guide from this link

Refer to page number 59-60 for the procedure to remove the drive. 

Disconnect the HDD and connect it back and check. (Perform this step only if you are comfortable.)

If the issue persists, perform recovery using the recovery kit created on your computer. 

If you have not created a recovery kit, please contact our phone support team to order a copy of the recovery kit.

Refer to this HP Article for more information. 

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> suddenly when im using it, the screen will go blue say kernel error (or some other error)

Since it was repeatedly occurring, this symptom usually is caused by a hardware problem:

* failing motherboard -- not likely,

* failing CPU -- not likely,

* failing RAM -- not likely,

* failing disk-drive -- possible.

> and restarts.

That is the default option after Windows crashes.

> Now upon restart it popped up Boot Device Not Found - Please install an operating system on your hard disk.

> I also did a SMART and a short DST and they both passed.

This points to a disk-drive that is physically OK, but "logically" is messed-up, i.e., some of the Windows files are not readable, or have been overwritten by something else.

Did you try the "long" (many minutes) DST?

> I did a memory check and it passed.

Good.

> It continues to do this and idk what i should do next.

If you have a Windows 10 DVD, boot your computer from this media, choose a "region" and an "input language", and then choose "Repair", to see if the "logical" inconsistencies of your installed copy of Windows can be repaired.

If that "Repair" cannot resolve the problem, then I would:

* remove the current disk-drive (which contains all the Personal Files) from the computer,

* purchase and connect a brand-new disk-drive,

* install Windows,

* temporarily reconnect the original disk-drive, and see if the Personal Files can be copied onto the new disk-drive.

My "hope" is that the original disk-drive is still "logically" good-enough to read the Personal Files, even though it is not "logically" good-enough to boot from it.

The result is a fresh installation of Windows, onto a newer/faster/larger-capacity disk-drive that has a valid warranty.

These are all good points.

My presumption is that the disk-drive may have some "physical" problems, not yet detected.

So, rather than trying to reinstall Windows, and maybe wiping-out the Personal Files, install to a new disk-drive, to retain the possibility of recovering the Personal Files.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No hardware changes. Does restoring the BIOS settings to default get rid of any of the items on my computer?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  Does restoring the BIOS settings to default get rid of any of the items on my computer?

No.  But, in my opinion, changing the BIOS settings will not bring you any closer to a solution.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation