4 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Boot Device Not Found

HP Pavillion 24-b327c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi:

When I "woke" my computer today - it automatically went into an update mode.  Im not sure if it was a Windows update - or an HP update.  I  waited patiently for the update to finish (30 minutes +).  The computer allowed  me to login and then it was just a spinning wheel - never really booting up.

The end result of all I've done is that the "boot device is not found"  I've also gotten a black screen with a red error message - that I need to check the Boot Signature??  Nothing I've attempted to do - per online HP support - and the virtual customer support have helped.  Of the thiings I've tried - all tests have passed.  Hard drive extensive test, memory test and processor test.  I've got about 8 hours into this today - with no resolution.  I am #5 in the queu for online customer support - after waiting over an hour already.  

Im a bit concerned that whatever took place during whatever update launched has caused this issue.  I can't wait to see how this is going to get resolved.  I've had the computer for just over 2 months.  Very discouraging.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
117,432 107,613 17,051 26,105
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Boot Device Not Found

Hi:

If the hard drive passed all tests...

If the F11 factory reset option didn't work and you don't have W10 recovery media, you can make your own by using the Media Creation Tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can make a W10 USB flash drive installer using an 8 GB flash drive.

W10 will work with the product key in the BIOS, install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

Then you can install the drivers and available software from the PC's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-24-b300-all-in-one-desktop-series/19404532

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,581 22,524 2,061 4,922
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Boot Device Not Found

@rizzik01

Just so you understand, the Win10 that you create using the info that @Paul_Tikkanen provided is not going to "recover" anything from your existing installation; instead, when you boot from it, it is going to overwrite what you have now and you will lose all settings, data, and applications in the process.

What I would like to suggest, as a first approach, is something less drastic that (in all fairness) is probably NOT going to be sufficient -- but with Win10, you never know in advance and it just might work.

Boot from the media you created, and follow the directions in this link: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanced-startup-options-boot-windows-10-a.html
 You will need to go to the Advanced Options screen and click on Startup Repair.  You will probably have to run Startup Repair three times for it to fix all the boot loader problems.

If that does not work, then you will need to reboot from the same media and do a fresh install of Win10.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Highlighted
4 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Boot Device Not Found

Thank you for both responses.  I worked with HP Support by phone to create the Win10 backup from the MS website.  I was told it would be an easy install.  Much to my dismay, I received the same error msgs - Boot Device Not Found.  Must install OS.  I called HP support back - and was told if that didn't work - I'd need to wait for an email (issue was escalated) that would arrive in a couple days - as a work order had to be placed for me to get the email with instructions to re-install the HP software that contains the OS (and all other HP apps preloaded on the machine)  After the call - I figured "what the hec" and tried my own random fixes - which somehow got me to the HP recovery menu - and a few key strokes - got me to a place for recovery from a specific point in time.  The end result - the OS was installed - and none of the HP software pre-installed was infected.  I was actually looking forward to having the add'l SW removed - as I don't use any of it.  What concerned me the most - and I never got a resolution for - during my second attempt to re-install the OS from media tool app I downloaded - was the message - "Partion not in correct order"  From the information I could gather online - there is a specific order in which the partion must be set up when creating the image for a new PC.  It was apparent to me that to re-install the OS from downloaded OS - that HP recovery SW was not in the proper place - and it was causing the error msg regarding the partition order.

Any thoughts from someone who may work with deploying images - let's say - within a business environment - where they create a standard image to roll out??  

I'm just a home user - but the concept must be the same with the image HP crreated and placed on computer.  

The whole issue was caused by a Windows update - could it be that the HP image is a little wonky??

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation