Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Boot Issue (Choose Keyboard Layout)

HP All-in-One - 20-r101ns
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I recently changed my antivirus provider; replacing Panda Pro (at the end of a free years subscription) with Avast Free. As part of this process I was required to restart the PC.

However, upon restart I received a strange blue screen (not the infamous blue screen of death!) which asked me to "Choose Keyboard Layout". Upon doing so I am presented with the option of "Troubleshoot" or "Shutdown". If I shutdown and restart the pattern simply repeats i.e. Keyboard Layout

Within Troubleshoot there are various options such as "System Restore", "Startup Repair" and other tests. I actually had a system restore point saved from the point at which I uninstalled the antivirus but choosing that option still brings me back to Keyboard Layout. I also tried the repair option as well as various tests such as "System Extensive Test" with no issues found and all tests passed!

I can't seem to find any solution, there is no Safe Mode option etc. However I know I am not the only person to suffer this Keyboard Layout issue so hopefully you have a solution?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
6,247 6,228 313 458
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@NelsonRFC82

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

I went through the post and I see that you've already performed most of the steps, Kudos to you on that. 🙂

In this case, try performing a push button reset by following this link, which would take it back to the factory settings. 🙂

Let me know how that pans out.

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Barachiel,

Thank you for getting back to me.

Unfortunately that has not resolved the issue as by pressing F11 on boot does not take me to the choose an option screen as outlined in your link.

I do get a message that says press ESC to enter system recovery, but upon pressing ESC I continue on to the dreaded Choose Keyboard Layout loop!

Best,

Neil

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
5,216 5,204 269 383
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@NelsonRFC82

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

It looks like you were interacting with @Barachiel, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out,

I'm the Flower_Bud & I'm at your service.

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

Perform hard reset:

1. Power off the PC
  2. Disconnect all devices and cables (including the power cable) from the PC.
  3. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds on the PC.
  4. Reconnect only the keyboard, mouse and the power cable to the PC.
  5. Power on the PC

Once completed, try resetting the PC following steps from the link provided by Barachiel. If the issue persists, I would suggest you reinstall Windows using HP Recovery Media. To order Recovery Media, refer to the steps from the article: https://www.support.hp.com/my-en/document/bph07143

Once you have the Recovery Media, you could refer to the article to perform System Recovery: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961#AbT3

Go to Perform system recovery >System recovery using HP supplied recovery media

Or I will send you a private message to assist you with the next course of action. Please check your forum private message box next to the bell notification icon on the upper right-hand corner for a private message from me for further assistance.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation