Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Boot config error now preparing automatic repair loop

Pavilion desktop 23q255na
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

For no reason whatsoever I started to get the not being able to start computer properly screen saying it is bad system config info. I tried the help and recovery options and other options on this forum but nothing has worked. Now the bad system config screen does not come but just preparing automatic repair, after this fails then the same screen with advanced options etc comes on. I tried to at least save my personal data from the computer but it does not even recognise the external hard drive that I have attached with USB. 

I did a system extensive test and everything passed: processor, wireless module, system board, hard drive smart, hard drive short dst, hard drive optimised dst, hard drive long dst, memory extensive.

i tried to restore to another point but it would not let me select the c drive it was showing saying that the drive needs to be protected. 

Please can someone help me asap, so that I can get the computer working again without losing all my data. 

I really need need to save my all my data first and then get the computer to work.

please help.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,985 9,981 938 2,733
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Since this PC has Windows 10 installed and the diagnostics passed, there may be hope.  With a working PC, go to this site

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media" and follow the directions.  Then use this new media on the problem PC.  Boot to the new media and pick "repair" instead of install.

Also see this

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3127597/fix-windows-bad-system-config-info-error.html

If that does not solve the problem, you might need to reinstall Windows 10 but save your data to external media before doing that.  Use a Linux Live CD to boot to and then move the data to external media.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks!

i will try and save the data and then use the tool just in case anything happens.

Not sure what the linux cd is but i have another external hard drive which i can try.

Will let you know how i get on. fingers crossed this works...nothing else h

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,985 9,981 938 2,733
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The Linux Live CD is to bypass any Windows restrictions or if Windows will not boot.  Linux can read and retrieve more the data from a failing hard drive with a better chance of reading the data.  I prefer either Knoppix  or  Ubuntu.  Both are easy to navigate and will recognize most, if not all, PC hardware.

Boot the failing PC to the Linux Live CD, it will not alter the Windows install.  If the drive cannot be repaired by the Windows 10 media, you might still be able to move the data to different media with the Linux.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation