Highlighted
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can't find storage drives when trying to reinstall clean Windows 10

HP Envy h8-1534
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer (HP Envy h8-1534) has been frozen in the startup repair loop for some time. I finally was able to get a fresh copy of Windows 10 on a USB drive, and am able to enter the installation page for Windows 10, but during the Windows setup, when I try to select "Where do you want to install Windows?" I receive an error message, saying "We couldn't find any drives. To get a storage driver, click Load driver.

Are there copies of the drivers for this device so that I can once again have access to these partitions? I know that they are there somewhere because when I browse for folder for the driver it recognizes ESD-USB (C:) as well as the other drives (USB D-G:, and Boot (X:).

Thank you in advance for your help!

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
44,694 38,151 3,349 14,086
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you tested for hard drive failure? Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did the basic hard disk check and it says smart check: not installed and short DST: not installed. What does this indicate?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
44,694 38,151 3,349 14,086
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It usually indicates the hard drive is dead and will have to be replaced.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@GoIndians wrote:

I did the basic hard disk check and it says smart check: not installed and short DST: not installed.

What does this indicate?

SMART: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

is technology where the disk-drive and the motherboard monitor the "health" of the disk-drive.

Not being able to detect the disk-drive means that SMART has nothing to report.

The "short" (which takes less than one minute) DST (Disk-Drive Self-Test) cannot access the disk-drive.

Check that the "power" lead is fully-connected and "seated" into the back of the disk-drive.

Check that the "data" cable is fully-connected to both the motherboard and to the back of the disk-drive.

After the computer has been powered-on for about 10 minutes, turn it off. Disconnect the AC power. Touch anywhere on the metal "case", to discharge any static electricity.  Then, touch the top of the disk-drive.  If it is "cold", namely room temperature, it has not been "spinning" for those 10 minutes. So, it either is "dead", or it has not been getting electrical power.

If these simple cheques find nothing wrong, then the Other Person  is correct -- replacement is required.

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation