Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Computer is stuck on boot menu

Compaq mobo
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)
Ok. Trying to fix my personal computer, and seem to have run into a strange problem

Problem: The computer will not boot past the bios screen.

When you power on the computer, the compaq logo with intel inside shows up and has the <Esc Boot Menu>, <F1 Setup> and <F10 System Recovery> options listed. This is about as far as the computer gets. After this the whole computer is just locked up, no buttons work on the keyboard. Right as i boot up, the mouse light flashes, but then is turned off. I've tried mashing on the F1 key as soon as I power on the computer, but still cannot manage to get anything other than the boot screen. I've already tried eliminating possible sources of problem, all expansion cards removed, HDD and Dvd Rom disconnected, single memory module (2*2gb ddr), only power, moniter, and keyboard connected. Ive also cleared the cmos memory, but again, nothing. I've tried using a different stick of memory and different memory slot as well... Ive even tried pulling out the jumper for the bios password protection (even though it didn't have a password on it, just trying anything I can think of.)

The computer was working absolutely fine yesterday, and i havent added any hardware to it. I did leave it on sleep mode overnight for the first time in a few months, but thats the only thing i can think of thats different. I consider myself pretty handy with this sort of thing, but this is really throwing me off.

Tell me if you need anymore information. Its pretty frustrating 😠
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Computer is stuck on boot menu

> After this the whole computer is just locked up, no buttons work on the keyboard.

> Right as i boot up, the mouse light flashes, but then is turned off.

Any lights on the keyboard, at any time?

Have you tried a different keyboard?

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation