Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Computer rebooting itself

HP Slimline270-a011DT PC US
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Using the desktop and suddenly, w/out notice it reboots itself making me loose all my work. The screen just gets black and then  it re starts  on the sign on screen. No informations at all. Bought this at Brandsmart and have no idea where the paperwork is  otherwise would have returned it long ago.--- Was bought end of last year and this is happening many times over Any help?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 830 1,479
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Computer rebooting itself

@cadeco

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, MKazi is at your service. 

I understand that you have an HP Slimline 270-a011 Desktop PC and it randomly restarts. I'll be glad to assist you with this case.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Did any software changes or updates happen after which this issue may have started?
  • Does the PC overheat?
  • Does the PC restart while working on something specific or no matter what you're working on, it still restarts?

While you respond to that. I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Shutdown the PC.
  • Disconnect all the devices and cables from the PC (including the power cable).
  • Press and hold the power button on the PC for 10 seconds and then release it.
  • Reconnect the keyboard, mouse, monitor and the power cord and power on the PC.

Please follow these steps to disable the Automatically restart option:

1. In Windows, search for and open View advanced system settings.

2. Click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section.

Figure : System Properties window

System Properties window
  3. Remove the check mark next to Automatically restart under System Failure, then click OK.

Figure : Automatically restart check box

Location of the Automatically restart check box
  4. Restart the computer.

NOTE: The computer no longer restarts automatically when a problem occurs. Instead, a blue screen appears with more useful information. You can now search for a resolution using the information in the error.

In case the issue still persists then let us check if the laptop restarts in the BIOS. The following steps will help:

1. Shutdown the PC.

2. Power on the PC and immediately hit the f10 key repeatedly (7-8 times) on he keyboard.

3. The PC should display the BIOS screen. 

4. Let the PC remain in the BIOS screen for sometime and you may check if it restarts. If it restarts then it points towards a hardware issue.

Hope this information helps. Let me know how it goes. I'll be glad to help.

Cheers! 🙂 

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation