Clavey
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Computer turns on for a few seconds and then turns off

HP Recommended
Hp Envy Phoenix 810 160
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I changed out the graphics card to a newer one.

The computer turns on for a few seconds before turning off and repeating the process. By changing around the ram cards I have been able to prolong the time it stays on to about 20 seconds but there is no signal going to the monitor or keyboard. There is not a significant amount of dust on the fans nor wires out of place. I think it might be a power supply issue. This has happened before. Thank you for taking time to help me.

7 REPLIES 7
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,692
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Clavey wrote:

1. I changed out the graphics card to a newer one.

2. I think it might be a power supply issue.

3. This has happened before.

1. EDIT: Your computer: HP ENVY Phoenix 810-160 Desktop PC Product Specifications are:

Product number: F3D90AA
Release date: 4-Jan-2014
Country/region sold in: United States

What model of graphics card did you remove?

What model of graphics card did you install?

If you remove the new graphics card, and revert to the original, does your computer work?

Some new graphics cards simply are not compatible with older (late-late-2013) motherboards.

2. If you revert to the original, and the power-supply is OK, then your computer will be OK.

If you revert to the original, and the power-supply is not OK, then your computer will not be OK.

3. Tell us the details.

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

0 Kudos
Clavey
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I removed the Nvidia Geforce 640 that came with the computer and put in a Nvidia 760 I believe. I can't get the graphics card out because the switch that is supposed to release it is only partially releasing it. This is an MS-7826 (Kaili) Motherboard. 

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,692
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Clavey wrote:

I can't get the graphics card out because the switch that is supposed to release it is only partially releasing it.

The motherboard has a "locking" tab, and a lever.

It's at the end opposite from the external video ports.

Pull the lever "away" from PCI-E slot, to release the graphic adapter.

Then, pull the graphic adapter out of the slot.

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

0 Kudos
Clavey
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I checked and it is indeed a geforce 760-tinkering with it now.

0 Kudos
Clavey
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I checked it out and it is indeed a geforce 760. Tinkering with it now.

0 Kudos
Clavey
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't have the original on me, but when I took out the graphics card the problem persisted. Even if it's broken I'd like to figure out which piece of hardware has the issue so I can use the other parts to build a new one. Thank you for helping me

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,692
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Clavey wrote:

1. I don't have the original on me, but when I took out the graphics card the problem persisted.

2. Even if it's broken I'd like to figure out which piece of hardware has the issue so I can use the other parts to build a new one.

1. That's not good.  Your computer's specifications include:

Intel HD Graphics 4600 (GT2) integrated graphics

Integrated video not available if a graphics card or an Intel processor ending with “P” is installed.

• A processor that supports graphics is required for integrated graphics to be enabled
  • Intel HD Graphics 4600 (GT2) (supported by the processor)
  • Supports DirectX 11
  • DVI-D and DVI-I output ports (both ports can be used at the same time)

So, if the "instant-off" problem occurs using that "integrated" adapter, the remaining suspects are:

• power-supply
  • motherboard
  • processor
  • RAM

In order of increasing difficulty:

• If you have more than one stick of RAM, remove all-but-one, and try one stick at a time.
  • It's not difficult to temporarily connect a different power-supply (don't connect the HDD nor CD/DVD).
  • It's not trivial to find a compatible processor, nor to swap it in.
  • It's a major effort to replace the motherboard.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation