02-09-2018 10:45 AM
Computer will not turn on! Occurred suddenly and is now consistent. The only way the computer can be turned on is unplugging the power supply(either at the computer or AC plug), then plugging it back in, and then depressing the on switch. Takes much, much longer to be functional, i.e., about 3 minutes with the hp logo before loading up the windows sign in screen. Performance after that seems to be normal. When the computer is shut down, or asleep, it can not be turned back on unless you first unplug the power supply and then reconnect it. Unplugging and connecting can be done instantaneous ... no delay required. I have another HP power supply (laptop), but haven't tried it as it has a much lower amp output. Computer is just slightly over 1y old (almost a month out of warranty).
I have gone through the trouble shooting guide twice, obviously with no success. I have used the virtual assistant but all it did was go back to the troubleshooting guide that I had used before.
02-10-2018 01:25 PM
Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues with the computer no longer boots. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.
To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:
Have you recently made any software or hardware changes on the PC?
When you try to turn it on, do you hear the fan running? Or do you get any beeping noises/blinking lights?
Does the laptop shutdown right away if the charger is disconnected from the laptop?
Have you tried to use a different compatible charger and check if it helps?
Did this happen after a power surge or power outage?
As you have mentioned you have already tried all possible troubleshooting steps and still having the issue. I would suggest this could be a possible hardware failure. Before you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. I would suggest you try these steps here: HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10)
If you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance.
HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true
(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.
If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!
Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again
Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,
It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.
If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.
And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.
I am an HP Employee
02-10-2018 06:34 PM
Further to my problem, I discovered that the power button has an LED in it! Couldn't see it as it is located on the bottom of the all in one. Anyway, it has proved to be somewhat helpful. Now what I am finding is;
- When power supply is unplugged and plugged in again, the power buttom light is OFF.
- Depress the power button switch and the light comes ON as does the computer & fan. It still takes far too long get past the HP logo and onto windows log on. but eventually the computer works normal.
- When you shut down the computer by normal means, the power switch remains ON, as does the fan!
- If one holds down the power switch for approx 5 seconds, the light goes OFF and the fan stops!
- Depressing the power switch will then turn ON the computer and fan, but still very slow to load up.
- Shut off the computer by normal means when finished, and the power light & fan remain ON!
- Repeat the cycle!!
So basically, when the computer is shut down by normal means, the ON switch and fan remain ON and the computer will not turn on unless one recycles the power supply or depresses and holds the ON switch for 5 seconds.
Does this help anyone who can diagnose the problem?? I hope this is clear enough??
02-12-2018 03:35 PM
Thank you for replying,
After reading your post this definitely looks like a possible hardware failure. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for further assistance.
Please follow the link from the previous post to get in touch with the support team.
Keep me posted,
If the information I've provided was helpful,
give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,
that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
I am an HP Employee