Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Computer wont post after it was working just fine

hp pavilion 500-c60
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i have a very interesting problem thats getting to me. i have an HP Desktop PC Pavilion 500-c60, running on windows 10. i booted it up and logged in, and went to do something for about 30 minutes. when i got back, the monitor was black (i assumed it was in sleep mode). i tried to wake it up by pressing buttons and wiggling my mouse, nothing worked. the power button did not shut the pc off, so i unplugged it. when i try to turn it on, hard drive powers up, fans spin, and everything seems okay except it wont post (also there is no USB power). things ive tried: resetting the cmos, reseating the ram, disconnecting everything except mouse/keyboard, a different monitor, and turning off the system and draining of power. nothing works. holding the power button does not turn it off either, and the LED in the power button does not turn on. 

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Nice troubleshooting!

Install a new CR2032 MB battery.

Your MB does not a have a PCIe x16 GPU slot so you are limited to integrated graphics.

Disconnect the HDD, optical drive, and FP USB 2.0 card reader.

Boot the PC with no RAM. Try each stick of RAM, one at a time, in each memory slot. Swap in a new memory module.

Two remaining possibilities are:

1. The power supply may have failed. Your HP spec site show you have an external PSU. Check PSU connections. Try a new PSU if you have an external or internal PSU.

2. The MB may have failed. Check, reseat all MB connections.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I already tried a different CMOS battery, i tried a single stick of ram from my main rig (so yes it works) in both memory slots, the power supply works on another pc, i have reseated every motherboard connection. the thing i dont understand is how could the MB fail after being idle for 30 minutes? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi cameron598,

Finding the bad component is a process of elimination.

Did you disconnect the HDD, optical drive, and the card reader USB 2.0 connection to the MB? I would also disconnect the top USB 3.0 connector from the MB.

The MB or processor may have failed. Processor failure is very unusual unless it has been fried or it was damaged during a removal/insertion process. Intel processors have landings on the CPU (less likely to be damaged) but have fragile pins on the MB socket. AMD processors have pins on the CPU. Bent pins on either component will make for a bad day.

I can't answer how a MB fails. They do.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hi it is an amd chip but it is soldered to the board, also i dont have a top usb port. yes i have unplugged the hdd, optical drive, card readers, and usb ports

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Well, the MB has failed if you cannot get the PC to POST with an error message such as:

"No Bootable Media Detected", 

or a "Memory" error message or POST beep errors.

You said the PSU worked. You did test this component, correct?

Have a local PC tech take a look.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i am the local pc tech, i build them, i fix them, i clean them, i usually know what im doing. its just this one thing that doesnt make sense to me-- i dont understand what could have gone wrong

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am also a tech.

You got me.

Everything seems to suggest the MB is borked.

The only way to verify this would be to swap in a replacement board.

Not really worth doing in this case unless you happen to have a spare ITX MB laying around.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

well its an itegrated CPU, and the motherboard is 150 bucks. ill build a whole new pc thats better for half that. i dunno if im gonna buy from hp or amd again. you just dont have this kind of problem with normal hardware

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

One last thought.

Maybe the power switch is flaky.

Have you tried using a spare reset switch?

This may not work as HP sometimes modifies the front panel MB PS and LED pinouts.

Regards

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation