Level 2
22 14 1 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Controlling the network adapter for WOL

HP Compaq 8100 Elite SFF PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to set this machine up for WakeOnLAN - I know there are a lot of infos out there about WOL but not for this machine.

I have WOL running on all (4-5) machines and I've had it for years - working nicely.

I replaced an old ThinkCenter with this, yeah elderly HP Compaq 8100 Elite SFF PC, but it's only used 1-2 hours once a week for backup, so that's good enough for that job.

It came with Windows 10, 1709 and I set it up for my use - inclusive WOL - and it worked nicely !

While/after I was installing and testing my applications it come up with the message to install the update for Windows 1803 and I let it do that !

After some hours the update finished and could realise it had destroyed my ability to WOL AND to open a Remote Desktop to the HP Compaq 8100 Elite SFF from my other machines.

But let's take the problems one by one - how to restore the ability to WOL ?

I have tried setting the checkboxes on the PowerManagement tab for the network adaptor - it seams to have NOTHING to do with the LEDs on the back of the network adaptor - no matter HOW I set these checkmarks, I CAN'T get the adaptor to light up when the machine is shut down.

I don't beleave the updating to 1803 have changed anything in the BIOS setup - and I've checked here to see for sure - "S5 Wake on LAN" is still enable, and the "S5 Maximum Power Savings" is disabled - but when the machine is OFF the is NO LEDs lighting on the back of the adaptor.

What the _BEEP_ is wrong here and how can I cure it ?

Best regards
KSor, Denmark
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
22 14 1 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I know, that's my posting !

Best regards
KSor, Denmark
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
22 14 1 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

NO ONE KNOWS ?

Best regards
KSor, Denmark
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation