Level 2
27 19 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Data access and lock up issues

500-210qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I've had this computer since about 2013 and since then have maybe gotten a couple years use out of it because of this persistant issue. I ended up buying a new mac and giving up on the whole thing till I started messing around with it this past month. 

When I bought it it came with windows 8, I upgraded that to 8.1 and now in the past month ive got it running windows 10. keep in mind the problem was the same through all of this. I boot my computer up, It seems to run fine, loads up into windows, no problem. Then after a few minuets it starts freezing up, the disk goes either to 100% for no forseable reason, or it doesnt do anything. Its also happened where this will happen after a few hours of being fine, a few days, or almost instantaniously from clicking the on button. After locking up obiously it bluescreens, throwing errors like "inpage error" or "critical process died" have been the most common. Then if I try to restart it gives me hard disk failure. But if I leave it to sit a while it boots up just fine and repeats this process all over.

The first time few times this happened, I reset windows, still same problem. I also put a new hard drive in it and imidiatly ran into the same issue. But this is where things get intresting. So I created a bootable USB running ubuntu and booted into that on my PC and the problem seems to be gone. So i'm curious as to if its just some incompatible Bios or Software on my windows or something hardware like the motherboard.

Hardware wise all the capaciters seem to look fine to me but it just makes me think when it has to sit for an hour before it will work again if that isent the problem with it.

6GB ram

Intel core i5-4430 @ 3.00GHz Quad core

Nivida GTX something

Windows 10 64-bit

1TB Western Digital blue

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 9
5,904 5,889 204 520
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Intrigueing.

You have changed the HDD, taken Microsoft out of the equation (Good Choice).

So it is not the HDD or probably not Microsoft Windows OS since you tried 2.

Ubuntu will be lighter in memory and write to different addresses, probably, for critical processes.

And as you speculate the capacitors, there to support the intense CPU activity, are fine, or Ubuntu is not so CPU intense.

So memtest86 overnight?

Highlighted
Level 2
27 19 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I will give the memtest a try tonight when I get the chance. That would explain a lot if it were to be the memory. I have swapped them and tried them individually just to see if it would help, but the same result came of it. which does not nessasarly say much cause it only has 6GB and running the entire thing on 2 was proabably a bit much given it idles at over that when both are inserted.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
27 19 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So, Memtest results are in andddddd it showed up with no issue. But I did discover something else. The ram sticks are two differnt kinds. I knew before they were different sizes but its like HP just threw in a couple of ram sticks and called it good. SO now I'm wondering. The computer wokr objectivly fine for the first year or so I had it and then this issue arose. Could the ram sticks be incompatable? they run at the same clock rate but its two differnt brands and sizes

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
5,904 5,889 204 520
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

I would look at them with Speccy, but that may not show anything relevant.

Type    DDR3
Size    8192 MBytes
Manufacturer    Samsung
Max Bandwidth    PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
Part Number    M471B1G73DB0-YK0
Serial Number    328347847
Week/year    33 / 15
    Timing table
            Frequency    CAS# Latency    RAS# To CAS#    RAS# Precharge    tRAS    tRC    Voltage
        JEDEC #1    381.0 MHz    5.0    5    5    14    19    1.350 V
        JEDEC #2    457.1 MHz    6.0    6    6    16    22    1.350 V
        JEDEC #3    533.3 MHz    7.0    7    7    19    26    1.350 V
        JEDEC #4    609.5 MHz    8.0    8    8    22    30    1.350 V
        JEDEC #5    685.7 MHz    9.0    9    9    24    33    1.350 V
        JEDEC #6    761.9 MHz    10.0    10    10    27    37    1.350 V
        JEDEC #7    800.0 MHz    11.0    11    11    28    39    1.350 V

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation