Highlighted
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Desktop Doesn't Have Boot Device?

HP Pavillon Desktop 570-p014
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was using my computer just fine 2 days ago when yesterday it said that the Boot Device was not found. There is also a setup password so i cannot restart the whole computer. I cannot get a BIOS setup because of the setup password. I don't want to open the desktop to get the jumpers, and I don't think I have the tools to do so. I don't know why the Boot Device was all of a sudden not found because I didn't do anything. What I do? Thank you for the help.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

You have no choice if you want to remove the BIOS power on password and check connections to the MB and the HDD or if you have to replace the HDD.

You can contact HP Support if you are in warranty or take your PC to a reputable, local, PC technician if you are not comfortable with working inside the PC's chassis.

Please provide your specific product number for better assistance.

Most HP PC's are very easy to get into. At most, maybe a screwdriver is needed.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> yesterday it said that the Boot Device was not found.

Possibilities:

1. either the "power" or the "data" cable is not presently & fully connected to your disk-drive.

2. the "data" cable from the disk-drive is not presently & fully connected to a socket on the motherboard.

3. the files on the disk-drive have been "corrupted", such that the motherboard no longer recognizes the disk-drive as being a valid "bootable" device.

4. the electronics on the circuit-board on the disk-drive have failed.

5. the motor that spins the recording surfaces has failed.

> There is also a setup password so i cannot restart the whole computer.

> I cannot get a BIOS setup because of the setup password. 

Since you said that it is a desktop, not a notebook, you can use 1 or 2 of the jumpers on the motherboard to "clear" ("delete") that password.  The details for the method depend on the specific model of computer, which is ............... ?

> I don't want to open the desktop to get the jumpers, and I don't think I have the tools to do so.

Probably, just one correct-size Phillips-head screwdriver is all you need, to remove one side-panel.

> I don't know why the Boot Device was all of a sudden not found because I didn't do anything.

I don't know why an automobile tire would suddenly blow-out.

Of course, if one had been monitoring the "health" of the tire (and/or of the disk-drive), one might have suspected that continued usage has caused it to fail.

> What I do?

If you are reluctant to open the case, you probably do not want to:

1. open the case

2. disconnect and remove the disk-drive

3. purchase a same-physical-size disk-drive

4. connect it, and close the case

5. find your "Windows Installation Media" (or download it, or purchase a copy from HP or from some other site)

6. reinstall Windows

7. install anti-virus (if you don't like the built-in anti-virus that Windows 8 includes)

8. run Windows Update

9. install some applications (Adobe? Audacity? Microsoft Office?)

10. configure E-mail

So, hire a professional technician to do the above.

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have entered in the type of desktop just now. Will this help? I tried to open the desktop panel where all the stuff is plugged in, but all it did was nothing. I do not know how to get to it to get rid of the jumpers. Its confusing me. Thank you for the help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  I do not know how to get to it to get rid of the jumpers. Its confusing me.

Seemingly, you've reached your limit of technical expertise with computer hardware.

To repeat what I wrote, earlier: take the computer to a professional technician,

to manipulate the jumpers on the motherboard to remove the power-on password,

and then to do other trouble-shooting.

Or, as the Other Person wrote, as confirmation of what I wrote:

> take your PC to a reputable, local, PC technician if you are not comfortable with working inside the PC's chassis.

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation