Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Enter BIOS from dark screen with HP recovery partition erased

HP ProDesk 400 G1 Microtower PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My minitower started with win 7 with upgrade to win 8 and later to win 10.  I deleted HP partition for recovery and instead made win 10 boot disk and mirror image.  I ran a chkdsk /f /r on C:  to start on next power on.  The command caused the screen to black out and not return.  I want to enter BIOS and set start up location to DVD so I can boot up with boot disk and re-load or recover os.  I've tried all F numbers, escape button, even win logo + b + F2.  Power On gives power and green light blinks as if loading software but screen stays black.  Please find me a fix.  I will be so grateful.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,493 22,436 2,052 4,900
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Soloman1

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

While I've found pressing Esc will always get you into an HP menu, from which you can then enter BIOS settings, getting it to work can be tricky.

Try the following:

1) Hold down the Esc key, reboot the PC, but continue holding the Esc key down -- until the PC beeps to complain

2) Reboot, but this time, press the Esc key rapidly and repeatedly, again until the PC beeps to complain

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your solution.  It does not work for me.  I am using a wired keyboard and mouse instead of the wireless ones; also am using small screen monitor instead of large screen.  Maybe these changes effect the setup, I don't know.  I don't get the beep that you speak of when holding the esc key.  I removed the hard drive and tried esc key again on power on and still nothing.   I will now put the hard drive in another desktop and reload win 10 then see what happens.  Again, thanks for your help.  Soloman1

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation