Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 700-074
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

In bios changed setting from Secure Boot to Legacy.  Did not change setting for Fast Boot.  Now when computer boots it first tries to boot via network than fails finding no harddrive.

Originally running Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.

As soon as computer starts to boot I am pressing F10 to access bios.  I do get the screen that usually show prior to accessing the bios display the press the ESC key.  However, pressing the ESC has no affect.  It waits a minute or so and then boots to error messages mentioned above.

Is it possible to solve this problem?  If not, can I replace the bios chip?

Any ideas appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Solution turned out to be pretty basic.  Removed the CMOS chip.  Kept it out for about 5 minutes and put it back on motherboard.  When the computer booted it displayed a message stating there was about to be a change in the BIOS.  The diaglog displayed a number I was to enter and then I was to press the Enter key.  When I did the computer rebooted.  I pressed F10 to bring up the bios screen.  Selected reset to defaults.  And rebooted again.  The OS installed on the harddrive (Windows 8.1) booted just fine.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Solution turned out to be pretty basic.  Removed the CMOS chip.  Kept it out for about 5 minutes and put it back on motherboard.  When the computer booted it displayed a message stating there was about to be a change in the BIOS.  The diaglog displayed a number I was to enter and then I was to press the Enter key.  When I did the computer rebooted.  I pressed F10 to bring up the bios screen.  Selected reset to defaults.  And rebooted again.  The OS installed on the harddrive (Windows 8.1) booted just fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.