Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Error code: 0xc0000185 and Hard Drive Failure ID: RG8F02-7G196Q-PXP97F-60UJ03

HP All in One 19-3013w
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have an HP all in one 19-3013w PC which will not open up windows. Shortly after turning it on a blue screen appears with an error code 0xc0000185. I have also ran a test on the hard drive and I received a failure id RG8F02-7G196Q-PXP97F-60UJ03. My main goal is to only retrieve my stored photos off of it. Can this be achieved?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@bmankos wrote:

I have also ran a test on the hard drive and I received a Failure ID ...

My main goal is to only retrieve my stored photos off of it.

Can this be achieved?

Short answer: maybe.

While the "health" of the disk-drive is not good-enough to completely boot into Windows, there might be enough "residual" health that can be exploited.

1. Shutdown the computer.
  2. Disconnect the AC power.
  3. If it is a laptop, and the battery is removable, then remove it.
  4. Open up the case, to expose the insides.
  5. Disconnect the disk-drive from both the "data" and "power" cables.
  6. If there are screws physically holding the disk-drive in the drive-bay, undo and remove the screws. Some drive-bays have a holder around the disk-drive, allowing the disk-drive, inside its holder, to slide out of the drive-bay.
  7. Remove the disk-drive.
  8. On a desktop computer, that has a working copy of Windows, shut it down, disconnect the AC power, and remove its side-panel, to expose the motherboard, and its disk-drive and its CD/DVD device.
  9. Disconnect both the data and the power cables from the back of the CD/DVD device.
  10. Connect those two cables to the disk-drive.
  11. Reconnect the AC power, and boot into Windows.
  12. When you open "File Explorer", you will still see the 'C:' drive-letter, but the 'D:' drive-letter, which previously was the CD/DVD device, may have been reassigned to one of the partitions on the newly-attached disk-drive.
  13. You may also see an 'E:' and an 'F:' drive-letter, because the disk-drive has 3 partitions.
  14. Check the size of each partition.  One will be "tiny" (under 1 GB), one will be "small" (under 20 GB), and the other one will be hundreds of GBytes.
  15. Double-click on the "large" partition, and you should see a list of folders, including a 'Users' folder.
  16. Double-click on that 'Users' folder.  You should see a 'Pictures' folder.
  17. Double-click on that 'Pictures' folder, to see images and sub-folders.
  18. TRY to copy those images and sub-folders into the 'Pictures' folder on the 'C:' drive-letter.
  19. Access that 'Pictures' folder on the 'C:' drive-letter, and copy those images, either onto a USB memory-stick, or an external disk-drive..
  20. Shutdown. Disconnect the AC power. Disconnect the disk-drive, and reconnect the two cables to the CD/DVD device.
  21. If needed, reconnect the AC power, and "burn" the copied files onto DVD-recordable media.
  22. Done.

--------------

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

9. Disconnect both the data and the power cables from the back of the CD/DVD device.

0. Connect those two cables to the disk-drive.

1. Reconnect the AC power, and boot into Windows.

2. ..

Sigh. There is a "bug" in this forum, when creating a "numbered" list.

Everything looks fine when creating the list.

But, after I click "post" ....

My point #10 is being shown as #0.

My point #11 is being shown as #1.

And so on.

Sigh.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation