Highlighted
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Error message: no boot disk has been detected

Pavilion Slimline 400 G4A91AA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

When trying to boot up our desktop, we get the error message that no boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed. I keep hearing that it is probably the hard drive, but I really hope that is not the case. This occurred two years ago, but since my daughter is in college and doesn’t need to use this machine, we haven’t done anything about it. Just thinking now that we would like to get it up and running. We were also having difficulty with it connecting to the WiFi from the other end of the house. Would it just be easier and less expensive to just purchase a new processor? 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Error message: no boot disk has been detected

@mama4 wrote:

When trying to boot up our desktop, we get the error message that no boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed. I keep hearing that it is probably the hard drive, but I really hope that is not the case.

This occurred two years ago, but since my daughter is in college and doesn’t need to use this machine, we haven’t done anything about it.

Just thinking now that we would like to get it up and running.

We were also having difficulty with it connecting to the WiFi from the other end of the house.

Would it just be easier and less expensive to just purchase a new processor? 

A computer can boot from many sources:

• 3.5-inch diskette (think "MS DOS")
  • internal CD/DVD
  • external USB-attached CD/DVD device
  • USB memory-stick
  • over Ethernet -- usually done only in a "corporate network" environment
  • internal disk-drive

Sometimes, the computer is *NOT* configured to try *ALL* of the above sources.

So, "no boot disk" could be issued because the disk-drive is not listed as an "eligible" device, or, as you have indicated, because the disk-drive has failed.

To revive it, first enter BIOS SETUP, to see if the disk-drive is on that "eligible" list.

Second, because it is an HP computer, when you power-on your computer, choose to launch the HP Hardware Diagnostics.  Run the test(s) for the disk-drive.

Third, if necessary, purchase a new disk-drive, and reinstall Windows 8.

As to your "home WiFi" issue, the signal-strength is diminished by the distance between the device and your WiFi adapter, and the composition of the walls.  You might consider buying two adapters, that plug-in to the electrical wall-outlets -- one near the WiFi adapter, and one near the computer. The adapters transmit your network signal over your home's electrical wiring.

[ WiFi box ] -> Ethernet cable -> adapter -> wall outlet -> house wiring -> adapter -> Ethernet cable -> [ computer ]

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation