Level 3
43 33 0 1
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fast startup Problem

H8-1420t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Fast startup worked now takes 2 - 3 min to boot.

Starts Hp logo spinning dots for 30 sec. and sits on welcome screen 45 sec. or more

Tried changing startup settings and disableing all and than on and off with no change stays the same

some where in settings something is not on  or on that should be off

Looked at Bios and fast boot is on  tried this both ways on and off and reset the Bios still no help

someone here must of ran into this

Thanks,

Jim

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fast startup Problem

> someone here must have ran into this.

Probably. 

During the start-up, look at the front-panel of the computer, for the LED that indicates disk-drive input/output.

Is that LED blinking, or almost-always-on? If so, Windows is "working", reading/writing from/to the disk-drive.

Reboot, and launch the HP Hardware Diagnostics, and run the tests against your disk-drive, to check its "health".

How old is the computer?

Is the HP Warranty still in effect?

Launch Windows Update, and click on "show installed updates", to see if some updates have just been applied.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
43 33 0 1
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fast startup Problem

HD led is on full .

Diagnostics heath is good .

3 years

All was good used to boot in 35 sec.

Did also re installed windows with no change to software and no help the same problem

is there anything in settings that should be on or off ?

No warranty tried paid for Support and after days ended up getting refund that problem could not be solved

this was for different problem. That i did end resolving and fixed

I have a HP computer 7-8 years old or better and boots up in 35-40 sec.

i have worked on computers for a long time

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fast startup Problem

>  3 years

Probably, the warranty for the disk-drive was 1 year.  Possibly, 2 years.

Google-search for "download free SPECCY".

Download, install, and run SPECCY.

Expand the "storage" branch, and check the S.M.A.R.T. report for the disk-drive, to ensure that it is "good", and to determine how many "spare" sectors on the disk-drive have been (logically) swapped-in to replace sectors that have gone "bad".

> Did also re installed windows with no change to software and no help the same problem.

Experiment: reinstall Windows to a brand-new disk-drive, or to a "known-good" disk-drive, to see if the computer boots any faster with this changed hardware.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
43 33 0 1
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fast startup Problem

I have Boostspeed installed and Systemsuit installed and have smart check and disk fixer and all say no problems the Hard Drive is good

No problems found with drive and no errors found.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fast startup Problem

> HD led is on full.

That indicates that Windows is doing "something".

What happens if you disconnect the Ethernet cable, and/or turn-off your WiFi router, so that the computer has *NO* Internet access, and then start it up?  Any faster?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
43 33 0 1
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fast startup Problem

No change with internet off.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fast startup Problem

No change with internet off.

Google-search for "download free SPECCY".

Download, install, and run SPECCY.

Expand the "storage" branch, and check the S.M.A.R.T. report for the disk-drive, to ensure that it is "good", and to determine how many "spare" sectors on the disk-drive have been (logically) swapped-in to replace sectors that have gone "bad".

Tell us what you see -- note that you can "save" the report as a '.txt' file, and cut-and-paste from that report into this forum.

> Did also re-installed windows with no change to software and no help the same problem.

Experiment: reinstall Windows to a brand-new disk-drive, or to a "known-good" disk-drive, to see if the computer boots any faster with this changed hardware. Hint: disconnect the network cable, so that the install does not waste time running Windows Update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
43 33 0 1
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fast startup Problem

Some one here also told me to do this and i did and have as i said before other programs that do what this one has.

I have run all three and ALL three have found No problems with the Drive. No bad sectors or any other proiblems with the drive .

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fast startup Problem

Open a command-line prompt, with "administrator" privileges, and enter:

CHKDSK C: /R

It will read/write every sector on your disk-drive, to confirm that there are no problems with your disk-drive.

Of course, with millions of (512-byte or 4096-byte) sectors on your disk-drive, it will take a long time.

My reason for doing this is that "suspicious" sectors on your disk-drive are slowing-down the overall input/output rate, and causing your start-up to be "non-fast".

Can you upload the output from S.M.A.R.T.  into this thread?  I would like to see it.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation