Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Flashing screen when trying to boot - after installing Ubuntu

HP Recommended
HP Elitebook Folio 9470M
Linux
The system came with Windows 10; I installed Ubuntu 18.04 64 bits

When booting, the screen flashes and shows:

System BootOrder not found. Initializing defaults.
Creating boot entry "BootXXXX" with label "ubuntu" for the file "\EFI\ubuntu\shimx.efi"
Reset System

With ESC I get a menu and can choose the start options (F9)
From there to "Boot From EFI File" etc etc and start either Windows or Ubuntu.

Attempts to set boot order, change BIOS options, .. so far didn't help.

Looks a problem with bios/firmware, or ??

2 REPLIES 2
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,729 30,636 2,797 6,754
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@cornouws

HP only warranties their PCs for usage with the OS that comes preinstalled.  IF you replace that or add a different OS, then you assume full responsibility for maintaining that other OS -- as HP then provides  assistance only on Redhat and then only to commercial customers.

Your best bet for Linux support, since HP does not provide Linux drivers, is to contact the support forum for the Linux distro you are trying to install   -- in this case, the Ubuntu Forums:  http://ubuntuforums.org/

Folks there have experience using HP machines with Linux and know a lot about driver sources and installation issues.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
cornouws
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Provost.

The OS runs fine, it is just that at booting wierd flashing occurs continuesly. Of course related to what Bios & EFI do. But...

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation