Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

H8-1414 unable to open bios since setting bios to defaults.

H8-1414 Desktop
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

H8-1414, Angelica M3970CM, unable to enter bios since changing to default setting in bios.

The most that happens is 6 beeps indicating video card problems but the card is the original.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 15
28,004 27,539 1,809 5,043
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Apparently your PC is NOT using the BIOS default settings.  Six beeps is typically associated with a BIOS condition set to UEFI and a non-UEFI graphics card which is the AMD 7450.  The error is known as a pre-video graphics failure.

Run the latest HP diagnostics.  Run it from the USB flash drive.HP Hardware Diagnostics.  Let's make sure that the hardware is stable.

Remove the CMOS battery, test it with a VOM for 3.3+ volts and replace the battery if it's weak.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The hardware is all good, but still can not enter the bios.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> The most that happens is 6 beeps indicating video card problems, but the card is the original.

the original video graphics adapter is AMD Radeon HD 7450.

It is possible that this adapter has failed.  Can you swap-in a different adapter?

For your computer, I don't see any "integrated video" on the motherboard.

So, removing the add-in adapter, and connecting to that non-existent video-adapter, is not possible.

> Remove the CMOS battery, test it with a VOM for 3.3+ volts, and replace the battery if it's weak.

While you are testing with the VOM, also test it for the output amperage. Chemistry is chemistry. 

Inside the battery, each chemical reaction produces 3.3+ volts, but you need literally thousands of reactions to create enough amperage.

Compare to one person trying to push an automobile -- maybe possible -- with 4 equal-strength persons trying to push the same automobile -- much more likely to succeed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The battery reads 3.02 volts.

I have tried 3 different video cards with the same results.

I know the hardware is good.

The bios needs to be recovered but I do not know how to proceed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@JimNL@  wrote:

The battery reads 3.02 volts.

I have tried 3 different video cards with the same results.

I know the hardware is good.

The bios needs to be recovered but I do not know how to proceed.

> The most that happens is 6 beeps indicating video card problems, but the card is the original.

If that is happening, can you still enter BIOS SETUP, or launch the built-in HP Hardware Diagnostics, or select an alternative boot-device (such as the USB stick containing the HP Hardware Diagnostics) ?

I doubt that "recovering the BIOS" will bring you any closer to a solution.

What is the value of the amperage of that battery?

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation