14 12 0 0
Message 1 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP P2-1310 won't boot or keep BIOS settings after Linux install

HP P2-1310
Linux

Hello,

Well, this whole thing started after a friend of mine, who was given this computer, suddenly found that it was asking for a Windows password after an update, and of course the previous owner (85 years old) couldn't remember it. Well, I decided to help here out and just install Linux Mint on it since that's what I use and prefer. So, after numerous attempts to try to get the computer to boot from the DVD, I finally got the installer disc running and it went smoothly, until it was time to remove the disc and restart the computer. It gave a cryptic single line error message stating that no bootup disc found or disc was damaged.

Previously, the computer would reliably boot up in Windows 8 (what it came with) and asked for the user's password, so I'm pretty sure the hard drive was/is just fine. When I boot into the BIOS, I see that the computer's hard drive is recognized, so that seems good. I even tried substituting two different working hard drives with exactly the same results- they're both recognized by the system but won't boot into their operating systems.

One thing that I'm puzzled about is each time I've gone into the BIOS settings and turned off the Secure Boot and UEFI features, enabled Legacy, and set the boot device order, then save the settings, the system always reverts to the default settings and hangs. I checked the 2032 BIOS battery and it's a solid 3.2V, so it seems ok. After so many boot attempts now I can't get it to boot from a DVD disc anymore, I just get the unbootable or damaged hard drive message.

What am I doing wrong and what should I try next? I have never used a computer with the Secure Boot feature and I think this may have something to do with my problems, but then why won't the BIOS settings stay changed?

Very frustrated,

Chet

28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,472 22,127 2,554 8,587
Message 2 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@chetvaldes, welcome back to the forum.

Here is a guide that will explain Secure Boot for you.  The guide is for Win 8 since your computer came with it originally.

I have two suggestions:

1) Clear the CMOS to see if that helps:

This motherboard has a jumper to clear the Real Time Clock (RTC) RAM in CMOS.
  1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
  2. Move the jumper to clear for 5 to 10 secs, then move the jumper back to default.
  3. Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer.
  4. On the next startup, enter BIOS setup to re-enter user settings.

and/or

2)  Reset the BIOS/UEFI to the Defaults.

It could be that a glitch occurred when you installed Linux on the computer.

Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory ( 32 GB ); MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

I am not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
14 12 0 0
Message 3 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the fast reply!

I tried both suggestions with no change. I'm thinking the MBR is messed somehow. Some extra observations:

1. When I look at the boot order, under UEFI I don't see a listing for the hard drive, only for USB floppy, USB hard drive, and two for network- I only see the hard drive under Legacy- is that normal?

2. Every time I restart the computer after making changes in the BIOS it always says "Loading default settings" after chose "save settings and exit", and I never have gotten the "Boot mode change message" screen, further reinforcing the perception that none of my changes are being saved.

I will try to install the original drive in another computer and see what happens, but it won't be easy because all of my other computers are laptops and won't accept the 3.5" drive.

I'm still wondering how I originally got the DVD to boot since nothing I've done in the last twenty attempts has resulted in nothing but the "boot disc not found or damaged" message immediately after startup.

Question: the CMOS battery only is needed when the power supply isn't operating, correct? In other words, if you kept the computer plugged in to a live outlet, the power supply would keep the CMOS memory happy even if the battery died, right?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,472 22,127 2,554 8,587
Message 4 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @chetvaldes.

@chetvaldeswrote:

Thanks for the fast reply!

I tried both suggestions with no change. I'm thinking the MBR is messed somehow. Some extra observations:

1. When I look at the boot order, under UEFI I don't see a listing for the hard drive, only for USB floppy, USB hard drive, and two for network- I only see the hard drive under Legacy- is that normal?

2. Every time I restart the computer after making changes in the BIOS it always says "Loading default settings" after chose "save settings and exit", and I never have gotten the "Boot mode change message" screen, further reinforcing the perception that none of my changes are being saved.

I will try to install the original drive in another computer and see what happens, but it won't be easy because all of my other computers are laptops and won't accept the 3.5" drive.

I'm still wondering how I originally got the DVD to boot since nothing I've done in the last twenty attempts has resulted in nothing but the "boot disc not found or damaged" message immediately after startup.

Question: the CMOS battery only is needed when the power supply isn't operating, correct? In other words, if you kept the computer plugged in to a live outlet, the power supply would keep the CMOS memory happy even if the battery died, right?  No.  If the battery has failed it will cause the settings to be lost, even if the PSU is plugged in.  This could be causing your problem.

Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory ( 32 GB ); MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

I am not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
14 12 0 0
Message 5 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Even though I checked the coin battery voltage which seemed ok at 3.2V, I'll get another one and see if that changes anything. It will be weird if that's the problem, since it seemed to be fine before I started doing my misguided modifications to the operating system. I'll let you know how it goes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
14 12 0 0
Message 6 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I replaced the 2032 battery, restarted the pc, reset the bios to disable secure boot and fast boot, changed the boot order to disable the UEFI and use the legacy cd/dvd, saved and exited, and lo and behold there's still no "changed bios settings" startup page, and again says setting bios setting to default, followed by the usual no bootable disc detected. What next?

I'm convinced the motherboard is ok, and that the problem started with my first failed Win 10 installed, where I deleted what I thought were unneeded partitians. However, I thought when I did my clean install of Linux Mint, that would wipe everything anyway and make any necessary partitions the disc needed to properly boot.My friend is beginning to hint that I've broken her "new" once-working computer!

Help me Mr. Wizard!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 7 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I replaced the 2032 battery,

Did you test both the amperage & the voltage produced by both batteries?

It's possible that the old battery was not producing enough amperage.

> again says setting BIOS setting to default ...

It's possible that the memory chip on the motherboard that should be holding the BIOS settings is *NOT* doing so.  That chip probably is not a FRU (field replaceable unit), i.e., nothing that you can change.

Since the computer was factory-loaded with Windows 8, you are entitled to reload Windows 8, at any time, at no cost.

See: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-p2-1300-desktop-pc-series/5295976/model/5296905#

Order Recovery Media-CD/DVD/USB
USB - Windows 8 64-bit Recovery Kit
System Recovery Kit for Consumer Desktop
Order Media
N/A
N/A
Dec 16, 2015

to purchase a copy of the original HP Windows 8 software.

After installing, use Windows Update to get the free update to Windows 8.1.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
14 12 0 0
Message 8 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't check the new battery's voltage, since it was brand new, but the old one measured 3.2V on my dvm (no load). I don't see how I could have damaged the bios memory chip since I haven't done anything to suspect that.

I can't reinstall anything until I can get the bios settings changed to boot from the DVD or a USB drive- that's the main problem at this point- the settings always revert back to secure boot and UEFI on startup despite everything I change.

Unrelated uestion: is there some non-volitile memory on the hard drive that may be needed to work with this computer, that I may have accidently deleted?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 9 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I didn't check the new battery's voltage, since it was brand new, but the old one measured 3.2V on my dvm (no load).

The "chemistry" inside the battery produces 3.2 Volts, for each molecule-to-molecule chemical reaction.

The tens or hundreds or thousands or millions of simultaneous chemical reactions produce the amperage.

One Egyptian slave could not move the blocks to build a pyramid, but thousands of slaves were able to work together, to move those blocks.

So, if the chemistry in the battery is nearly exhausted, there still will be 3.2 Volts, but a very small Amperage, making the battery non-productive. Measure the amperage, not just the voltage.

> I can't reinstall anything until I can get the BIOS settings changed to boot from the DVD or a USB drive.

Pressing one of the "function" keys (F9?) during BIOS intialization may cause the BIOS to display a "temporary start-up menu", allowing you to choose a "one-time" boot from USB/DVD.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
5,904 5,889 204 520
Message 10 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Do you have the option to enter/set a Supervisor password?

If so set the the Supervisor Password to HP and write it on the inside cover of the PC.

Then try again.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation