2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP all in one start up and shut down issues

HP Pavilion All-in-One - 27-a240se
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Pavillion All in one has developed an issue that started 5 days ago

When I boot the machine it hands on the HP logo for about 5 minutes and then contimues (Not a big issue)

hwoever when I shut down the machine (Or it goes to sleep) the screen goes blank but the power is still on and I can hear the fans running so it is not shutting down and when in sleep mode it will not awake.

I have tried the following so far to fix this with no luck.

* Did a reset windows OS (OS only)

* Did a factory restore of the machine (full wipe)

* Reinstalled from emergency boot disc

* performed the F2 on start quick and full system tests (All pass)

Note sure what to try next the machine is about 18 months old and apart from this problem never had an issue before.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> My All-In-One has developed an issue that started 5 days ago.

> When I boot the machine it hangs on the HP logo for about 5 minutes and then contimues (Not a big issue),

Weird.  If you press ESC to "dismiss" that "splash" screen, does it show any (white) text over a (black) background?

Some All-In-One systems have the "disk-drive-activity" LED on the back.

Turn the computer on, and watch that LED -- during the 5 minutes, does it flash at all?

> However when I shut down the machine (or it goes to sleep) the screen goes blank but the power is still on.

> I can hear the fans running so it is not shutting down ...

Note that "shutdown" and "hibernate" and "sleep" are quite different commands.

The first should completely stop the fans, and turn off all LEDs (except maybe a "power" LED on the back, which indicates that the computer is receiving power from the Power Commpany).

The second should write a copy of the RAM, plus a few more bytes, to the disk-drive.  When you power-on the computer, it reloads the RAM, plus those other bytes, and resumes exactly where you "hibernated" it.

The third should just enter "low-power-consumption" mode, without writing to that "hibernation" file.

> and when in sleep mode it will not awake.

Will a quick "tap" of the ON/OFF button cause it to wake?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi mdklassen

Thank you for taking the time to reply, in answer to your questions.

If you press ESC to "dismiss" that "splash" screen, does it show any (white) text over a (black) background?

If I press Esc while on this screen I get a blue popup window with options to enter BIOS or change boot order etc, if I press F2 during the HP screen it brings up the HP test/recovery screen (I ran the quick and full system tests and no issues found.)

* Some All-In-One systems have the "disk-drive-activity" LED on the back.

Turn the computer on, and watch that LED -- during the 5 minutes, does it flash at all?

It does has a pinhole sized white light at the back if this is what you mean and when I watch it then it seems to flash fora few seconds and go off for the rest of the time then comes on when the computer starts to boot after the wait.

Will a quick "tap" of the ON/OFF button cause it to wake?

No, I tapped the power button, clicked the mouse and pressed keys on the keyboard but it does not come on, on the keyboad the lights work (Caps lock etc) if I press the relivent button but the computer does not wake.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having exactly this problem with my HP Pavilion All in one!  It started about three days ago. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having exactly this problem with my HP Pavilion All in one!  It started about three days ago. 

Did you try all the suggestions recommended above --- ‎02-10-2018 01:18 PM               ???

What were the results?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Me too, right before I was going to sell it 

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation