Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 3
49 45 0 5
Message 1 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP blocking SSD upgrades with newer systems and biosversions?

I am also having this exact same issue after doing "the right thing" by updating to BIOS version .34.

on HP Pav desktop 510-p024.

Since I can no longer access the SSD where the BIOS back up is located I need to force downgrade the BIOS from a USB drive!   

I have the v.20 BIOS copied over a USB drive but I need the specfic details / steps on how to boot from the USB drive then reflash the bios.

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Level 10
Level 10
1,206 1,195 166 898
Message 2 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The steps in HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS, in the "Windows does not start" section, explain how to update BIOS through UEFI BIOS Management. Since you already have the BIOS file you can start at step 3.

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
Highlighted
Level 3
49 45 0 5
Message 3 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i need the same instruction except for an HP desktop pav 510-p024

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
Level 10
1,206 1,195 166 898
Message 4 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ewilson248 do you know which of the three available BIOS files you need? Here's the software and driver downloads page for your computer: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-510-p000-desktop-pc-series/10734566/mod...

If you know which one to use, it looks like you can use basically the same steps that I linked to for notebooks. I just tried running one of the files for your desktop and it opened an HP BIOS Update and Recovery utility for copying the BIOS image onto a USB drive.

I am an HP employee.
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
Highlighted
Level 3
49 45 0 5
Message 5 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

getting the files to the USB drive is NOT the issue.

I need the exact detailed steps on how to update the bios on the desktop machine.

the files created by the HP tool and put on the drive are not bootable.

therefore I need a way to boot the machine to do this.

I tried The Wndows +B keys to do a BIOS update but it fails since the SSD drive is not accessable.

the SSD must be unplugged for the machine to POST into BIOS

I have no way to point the BIOS update to the USB drive.

I have made the USB drive the first bootable device

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
Level 10
1,206 1,195 166 898
Message 6 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can you access UEFI? The document I linked previously has steps for how to update the BIOS in UEFI using the USB drive.

I am an HP employee.
Highlighted
Level 3
49 45 0 5
Message 7 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The drive that contains the UEFI / EFI and recovery partition is inaccessible, I need to do this strictly from a USB drive only.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
Level 10
1,206 1,195 166 898
Message 8 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've asked the other forum Experts to jump in here...hopefully someone will have a suggestion for you.

I am an HP employee.
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
44,694 38,151 3,349 14,086
Message 9 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ewilson248

The flash drive doesn't have to boot. W key + B should cause the machine to read from the usb flash drive. 

1. Turn off the computer.
  2. With the computer off, press and hold the Windows logo key  and the B key at the same time.
  3. Still pressing those keys, press and hold down the Power button on the computer for 2 to 5 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows and B keys until the BIOS update screen is displayed or until you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).

If that fails you can try to create a HP Diagnostics UEFI on the usb flash drive, then copy your BIOS files into correct folder. If W key + B still doesn't work to read from it- use F2  to access the usb Diagnostics as you did when the hdd was accessible. However-I am not sure if you can downgrade BIOS even in this manner. HP blocks downgrading after some revisions.

Running this file should ask if you want to install to hdd or USB flash drive.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-pavilion-510-p000-desktop-pc-series/10...

I have seen some suggest to copy the new BIOS files into Old and New folder on the usb. While others have said running the BIOS Sp will extract it to the correct folder. It is pretty much guess work.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

Highlighted
Level 1
6 5 0 1
Message 10 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

-moved to bottom of thread

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation