Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

That's the W7 key, but it may not work on W10 since the free upgrade period ended.

That is why I don't recommend a clean install.  Read the article I posted.

HP Recommended

I took the Windows7 upstairs & hooked it up to monitor, etc. and started the installation process, after downloading the installation tool (successfully), downloading Windows10, checking for updates, confirming that Security essentials(?) no longer works, selecting "Delete everything" and hitting go. At the end of the second attempt I got a "Windows installation failure" (approximately). The first time I realized that all of the software was still installed and should be removed before I get rid of the computer, so I started removing software while the download was going on and I didn't realize that there was going to be an option for remove all user info and software & figured that there was a conflict between the installer and the remover, so I did it over again with the same results.<sigh>

HP Recommended

Did you just click on the blue Update Now button on the media creation tool link?

I did not suggest that you use the media creation tool to create any installation media.

HP Recommended

I did use my wife's computer and copied (with directory structure) mount & mountvol stuff to a stick. I  went to the Windows7 system and turns out that files with the same name are already present!! I then tried to copy the ISO to the stick, and while it should've fit, Windows complained that there wasn't enough space on the stick<sigh>. I did download the stick again figuring that the stick had become corrupted and after a little more fiddling with the keys, it booted!! I went through the installation process, I haven't been staring at the during the process, I'm sure the PC rebooted, the screen is currently saying "Getting ready" with a twirly thing going round & round.  Who knows, this may work!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.