Level 1
14 11 0 0
Message 1 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hp Pavilion crashes with disk error then passes all disk tests

Pavilion 23 All in One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have started getting some odd crashes - seems to be when the PC tries to sleep - it then crashes to a blue screen with hard drive errors.  I have run the DPS disk check from the boot options and it ran for about 90 mins and passed both test 1 and test 2.  However after trying to reboot it kept saying disk not found.  When I tried to run the disk check from the boot diagnostics it also said disk not found.

I have a bootable DVD with Linux on so I popped this in the DVD tray and weirdly although the DVD drive was being accessed the system actually booted from the main HDD with Windows 10 and ran ok again.  I ran a Windows scan on the Windows (C) drive and the tool reported no errors at all.

I had some lunch and when I returned the same thing has happened - back to a blue screen saying hard drive error and then would not boot again.  I put the DVD back in and rather than booting from it the system came back as normal. 

The 1Tb Seagate HDD passes all the different tests so I am thinking it may be a BIOS type problem.

I am writing this post using the system and yet it will go into a mode saying the disk can't be found at all!

I have tried re-seating the disk and cables to the HDD but this didn't change anything.

Thanks

Andy

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Level 3
38 37 2 3
Message 2 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Andy, I can't speak to your main point, but as for getting the laptop to boot linux from DVD, that may have to be enabled. Watch your screen for how to get the boot menu - usually it's ESC and the window to press that is very short. From the boot menu you should be able to specify DVD or USB instead of your usual hard drive. However, even then it's possible that you'll need to enter bios and enable "legacy support" if your linux dvd isn't EFI-compatible. If it's a recent release, like openSUSE Leap 15.0 or (k/l/x)ubuntu 18.04, then it will support EFI. -GEF

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
14 11 0 0
Message 3 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  I did get Linux to boot from the DVD but I seem to have an problem that looks like it should be a HDD but I'm thinking is more likely to be a SATA interface or maybe a motherboard (really bad!) because I can somehow get the drive to work through re-boot cycles and then it passes all tests - but then the BIOS next time will completely fail to find the drive at all.  I can't find a pattern as to why it sometimes boots and then won't find the drive.

I'm hoping someone else will have seen this type of fault as I'm struggling to know what to try next!

Thanks

Andy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
38 37 2 3
Message 4 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have actually seen the problem on a previous laptop and fixed it by formatting my hard drive, but I'm sure the same symptom can have different causes so it's a shot in the dark. I was fine to try it because I was going to install a newer linux anyway (and I had my data backed up to my smartphone). If I had your laptop, I'd see if I could scrounge another drive, like if a friend upgraded to an SSD and had the old drive laying around, and see if that clears the main board, at least. -GEF

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
38 37 2 3
Message 5 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PS: If you try another drive and it's visible but messed up because it has the wrong version of windows with the wrong drivers, you can download Win10 straight from Microsoft and install it without a product key. Some features will be disabled, but once you have a working install, there's software that'll recover your product key from the motherboard. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
14 11 0 0
Message 6 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Thanks for the help again.  The PC has now worked for 12 hours and so really intermittent - first crashed about a week ago and then yesterday - and only thing that it seems to require is me to mess with different boot devices before it decides it likes the HDD - and always the HDD has no errors once booted into Windows 10

Yes I am going to see if I can borrow a compatible HDD to see if the fault still occurs on a new drive - in which case I think it will be a more expensive problem of a motherboard - although I would be loathed to go through that swap not really knowing for sure if it would cure the issue.

The fact that the HDD always passes health checks completely once booted suggests that the drive itself is ok.  I have full data backups so not worried about my files - just the expense of the parts and the hassle of re-installing all my programs from 5+ years.

Thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 7 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> The fact that the HDD always passes health checks completely once booted suggests that the drive itself is ok. 

> I have full data backups so not worried about my files - just the expense of the parts and the hassle of re-installing all my programs from 5+ years.

I disagree with your "drive is OK" statement.

Compare it to the cheap package of matches that cigarette-smokers use.

Sometimes, the first "strike" triggers the match, and sometimes the first strike does not.

Sometimes, your disk-drive is "found" and works, and sometimes it is "not found".

I would:

* purchase a new SEAGATE disk-drive,

* connect it as a "secondary" disk-drive,

* download SEATOOLS from www.Seagate.com  and install it,

* run SEATOOLS to use its "disk-cloning" feature, to make a block-for-block copy of your disk-drive, including all your installed programs and personal files,

* shutdown,

* remove your disk-drive,

* boot from the new disk-drive,

* Done.

[Or, purchase a new WESTERN DIGITAL disk-drive, and download Acronis WD Edition from www.wd.com and use its "disk-cloning" feature.]

If your disk-drive was the problem, replacing it will have solved your problem.

Actually, if you can borrow a SEAGATE or a WESTERN DIGITAL drive that is in known-good condition,  you can run the above process without the expense of purchasing a new disk-drive, and then see if the symptoms vanish.

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

Highlighted
Level 1
14 11 0 0
Message 8 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip on the Seagate tools for cloning - that would really take the hassle out of re-installing everything.  My All in One PC doesn't have a second disk drive bay so I'm stuck with one drive at a time.  I'm also thinking that I may have a BIOS issue as I have managed to do something so that now I get a Windows logo at power on rather than the previous HP symbol.  

On HP's support page for my PC there is a newer BIOS release but it won't install - I'm thinking this is becasue my PC shipped with Windows 8.1 and I read somewhere on this forum that BIOS releases made for 8.1 won't work with Windows 10 but that seems odd to me as I would have thought the BIOS just looks for any bootable OS after the start procedure?

Anyway the good news is that after 3 crashes in quick succession I haven't had any further ones as yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 9 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Andy_Power wrote:

My All in One PC doesn't have a second disk drive bay so I'm stuck with one drive at a time. 

I'm thinking that I may have a BIOS issue as I have managed to do something so that now I get a Windows logo at power on rather than the previous HP symbol.  

On HP's support page for my PC there is a newer BIOS release but it won't install - I'm thinking this is becasue my PC shipped with Windows 8.1 and I read somewhere on this forum that BIOS releases made for 8.1 won't work with Windows 10 but that seems odd to me as I would have thought the BIOS just looks for any bootable OS after the start procedure?

Anyway the good news is that after 3 crashes in quick succession I haven't had any further ones as yet.

Two options:

1. an inexpensive external internal-disk-drive-to-USB adapter can temporarily connect a second disk-drive.
  2. for a desktop, disconnect the power/data from the CD/DVD device, and temporarily connect those two cables to the brand-new disk-drive, and then run the disk-cloning software.

Booting a computer running Windows 10 can sometimes does bypass that HP "splash" screen. 100% normal for Windows 10. Experiment: disconnect the disk-drive, and reboot. Your computer should display that "splash" screen, because it cannot boot from the non-connected disk-drive.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.  BIOS updates are BIOS updates, no matter what operating system is booted (Windows? Linux?).  Of course, sometimes you might find that the "installer" software for a BIOS update refuses to run  if it detects a "too-new" operating system. For example, such software released when Windows Vista was available will detect that Windows 10 is running, and will generate an error-message.

After 2 or 3 unsuccessful boot-up attempts, Windows 10 may have attempted a "self-repair" boot-up. Smart!

Keep close watch on your computer. Make a good backup, just in case that the problem reappears.

Hint: disk-cloning (even onto an older disk-drive) is a fast way to make an exact copy "backup" of your "production" disk-drive.

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

Highlighted
Level 1
14 11 0 0
Message 10 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Many thanks for the tips for cloning a second drive.  I will go ahead and do that now that I've had the scare on my main HDD as I think it's only a matter of time before it gets worse.

I read that the Microsoft key is tied to the motherboard somehow so as that will stay the same does that mean that the cloned drive should just work straight away with Windows 10?

Thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation