Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone !. My hpz440  is not switching on . But when I replug the motherboard power it switches on for a while and shuts down while using .. 

Is this a motherboard or power supply issue ? Plz guide me on this .

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

This could be a power supply problem or a bad component, or a bad peripheral, or a hardware short to ground. It seems the power supply is shutting down to protect the system. Or the power supply is in trouble. It could be internal SATA, USB, or PCIe related or external I/O.

Reduce the PC to a minimum configuration. Finding the bad component is a tedious process and may require, known good, internal replacement parts. It is impossible to isolate the bad component in a forum. Hands on troubleshooting is required.

You will have to replace components. I would start using a different power supply. Same result suggests you have an internal component problem when peripherals are removed.

You have to check each component until you find the bad part. It could result in exposing a bad motherboard or CPU (very unusual).

A different forum member may have a better solution. Giving you the best advice I can muster.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi , 

Thanks for your advice,  will replace my power supply first and get back with the results . 👍 

HP Recommended

Hi @I_Kiran,

You're very welcome.

Replacing the power supply may not fix the problem. I forgot to mention it is best to have a local PC tech diagnose the problem if your HP warranty has expired.

It could be a money rabbit hole.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi Grzwacz,

As per your advice I took my pc to a local tech !  They changed my workstation power supply 700w  .  And it was working fine for a day . And now I'm getting 4 red-light beeps .. which I removed my ram one by one but still having the same issue. 

Could you guide.  What seems to be the problem now ? 

HP Recommended

Hi @I_Kiran 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-z440-workstation/6978828/manuals

Red Power LED blinks four

HP Z440, Z640, and Z840 Workstation Series - Maintenance and Service Guide

Red Power LED blinks four               Power failure (power supply is overloaded).   
times, once every second,
followed by a two-second  
pause. Four beeps.

CAUTION: Internal components might be powered even when the
computer is oƫ. To prevent damage, disconnect the computer power
cord before you remove a component.
1. Open the access panel and ensure that all power connections are
secure on the system board.

Check if a device is causing the problem by removing all
attached devices (such as hard, diskette, or optical drives, and
expansion cards.) Power on the computer. If the system enters
the POST, power oƫ and replace one device at a time; repeat this
procedure until failure occurs. Replace the device that is causing
the failure. Continue adding devices one at a time to ensure all
devices are functioning properly.
3. Check power supply functionality:
a. Disconnect AC power
b. Remove all internal power supply cables from the system
board.
c. Plug in AC power.
— If the power supply fan spins and the LED lights, then the
power supply is good. Replace the system board.
— If the power supply fan does not spin or the LED does not
light, replace the power supply.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.