Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Legacy BIOS Boot Mode doesn't recognize C drive created under Legacy BIOS mode in another PC

Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I decided to take out the motherboard  (and the CPU and RAM) out of my HP Envy 750-624 desktop and install it into my Corsair Graphite 600T mid-tower ATX case.  

For the drives, I installed drives from my old build - Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD, Western Digital 3TB SATA3 HDD, and Western Digital 1TB SATA2 HDD. 

Because the HP Envy runs UEFI BIOS, I changed the Boot Mode to Legacy Mode since my Windows 10 Pro install on the Samsung 840 Evo was created under Legacy BIOS mode.  

Despite choosing to boot from Legacy BIOS mode, my Windows 10 installation is not being recognized by the HP Envy motherboard.  

Is this supposed to happen?  

As I understand it, I have two options:

(1)  Back up my data my the Samsung 840 Evo SSD, convert the SSD into GPT, and install Windows 10 and start from scratch.

(2)  Back up my data, use a disk partitioning app to convert my MBR HDD into a GPT drive, then boot the drive in UEFI mode.  

Are these the only ways to reuse my Samsung Evo 840 Evo SSD on the HP Envy motherboard without losing my apps and data?

Best regards.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 9
5,904 5,889 204 520
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Legacy BIOS Boot Mode doesn't recognize C drive created under Legacy BIOS mode in another PC

Hi

The W10 method is to put the Activation key onto the Main Board, and maybe the Main Board key is not there or applicable?

And if you only started with a single drive and then any problems were confined to the EVO SSD?

Like being the Primary HD showing as such in the BIOS.

BIOS Boot2 .jpg

EG: My BIOS boots a HDD ST1000, and for anything else I would use F9 to select.

So maybe there is an alignment in the BIOS to be done.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation