Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Mouse and Keyboard not responding and can't login to Windows

HP Slimline Desktop - 450-135na (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi,

I can't login in to Windows. The password screen doesn't appear, and also my keyboard and mouse aren't working. However, they do work when I press F2, F8, F10, F11 etc in that mode. When I get to the windows screen, the screensaver shows, and then I get a flashing blue screen.

Can anyone please assist.

Many thanks

Chris

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
1 1 0 2
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Chris,

I have been facing this issue with a bunch of customers at my local shop and It has come to my attention that a windows update has cause this. The windows update that was just released as of March 5th, 2018 will fix this and is update KB4090913. Download this update to a flash drive; then what I had to do was prior to booting hit the ESC key and get to the system recovery option, which is F11 I believe, and go into troubleshoot and navigate to the system restore point portion and restore it prior to when it had this issue. If it doesnt have a restore point I have to do a refresh, not to be mistaken with a factory restore. Refresh keeps all personal files and only removes some programs. After it does the restore I have keyboard and mouse access. With that being said go ahead and put in the flash drive and apply the update which takes about 25 minutes. After that you should be good to go!

If none of that makes sense to you here is an article from Microsoft regarding this issue:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4091240/usb-devices-may-stop-working-after-installing-the-f...

Hope that helps,

Curtis 

Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Curtis, 

Thanks for this.

I get to this and select the account, but I have forgotten the password. I have reset the password online, and still have no access.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I have forgotten the password. 

Google-search for "Nordahl offline password".

From this web-page, create a bootable CD-R.

Boot your computer from it, and follow the on-screen instructions to "blank" the current password.

Shutdown.

Reboot.

When asked for a password, just press ENTER.

Eventually, set a new password.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation