• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Mouse quits working before I can enter my password to get to windows screen.

HP Recommended
251-a123w
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

No error message. Computer comes up to opening screen where I am supposed to click on the icon to get to password screen. I have booted to system menu screens and done various hardware tests which all passed. The mouse works perfectly moving through these tests. I have also moved back to a previous image of system created on2-16-18 and mouse works through this process. I am using th original wired mouse that came with the system. I even tried connecting a wireless mouse but had same result. Once the system is about halfway through boot, light on mouse goes out and have no function after that.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
27,919 27,873 2,301 3,499
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Frustratednonte

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand the mouse stops working right before the password can be entered,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you tap on F10 to access the BIOS and check if the mouse works fine?

(Please do, if you haven't done it yet)

Have you attempted to use alternate USB ports to check if they work?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

Perform a hard reset to release any excessive static causing such issues: Click here for instructions.

If it works on the BIOS screen, it would confirm this is a windows issue and not the USB or touchpad,

Please access the safe mode, check if it works, if it does not, you may need to reset the windows using the push button reset: Click here for steps

Once, you are able to log into windows, update the BIOS & Chip-set using this link: Click here to find and install the same.

Do get back to me as I have a few more tricks up my sleeve, 

That said, If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,659
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Blame Microsoft for a "bad" Windows Update released on Shrove Tuesday, February 13, 2018, for "sabotaging" your USB ports.

See: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=300120.0

for a detailed explanation.

Using "System Restore" to roll-back to the most-recent check-point before 10 AM Pacific on the above date should fix the problem, at least until Windows Update "re-sabotages" your system.  Sigh.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation