Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP pavilion desktop 510-a010
Other

Every time I turn on my computer it goes to boot device not found. I ran the tests and it says that it can't find the hard drive and that I have to check the connections. I did that and it's still not working...... Please help, it's out of warranty already!! I can't even figure out what windows it is.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Did this happen all of a sudden like after a power failure, electrical storm etc? 

After turning the computer off by using the switch/power cord and not clicking on "shutdown" first?

Did problem start showing up recently such as taking too long to load a file, mouse showing busy icon (spinning circle" when accessing the hard drive?  For example:  Was it taking a long time to load WORD or open a file with notepad?

You make a bios change recently?

Any blinking lights indicating the hard drive is working?  If you open the case and touch the drive does it vibrate when the power is turned on?   Your hard drive activity LED should blink and you should feel vibrations at a minimum.  

If you boot a repair CD or DVD does it say something like "no disk found".  If you attempt a windows install does it give a warning the existing disk has partitions?

HTH

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

It happened all of a sudden, I was cleaning around the computer area. My boyfriend went to the computer since it's always on and he tried moving the mouse since the screen was idle, he told me nothing is happening so I told me that maybe the computer was off, so I told him to turn it on, I was not close to the computer. He pressed the power button and it actually turned off meaning it was on. When he turned it back on that's when the the blue box came out

HP Recommended

My guess is it was on standby and moving the mouse caused it to start waking up but it got shut down midway waking up.  Probably a 1 in a 1000 chance of damage happening but you are the unfortunately 1 in a 1000.

I had a computer under a desk and the power switch happened to match exactly where my kneecap was.  I duct-taped a metal bracket over the switch after a dozen accidental turnoffs but never had the system die.,

You need to get a Window 10 or any "DVD install" as they all come with repair tool. You boot it up but run the repair.  If you do not have a DVD then create a USB boot flash drive using any windows 10 system and an 8gb flash.

If you have trouble booting up come back and tell us.

Walk through here

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-startup-repair-fix-boot-problems-windows-10

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.