Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My desktop won 't boot up Windows correctly. It gets stuck at the windows logo.

HP Pavilion 6000 Series
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

There have been no software installations recently and no changes.  I do not know if it is Windows 7 32 or 64 . This computer was my husbands and he passed away recently (he knew all about it). 

I have been using it without problems for a few months until the other morning i couldnt get into it.  i tried the obvious things such as reboot, unplug, &  unplug router.   No luck.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,441 22,384 2,050 4,894
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Mango2

If the PC gets all the way into the boot process to show the Win7 "flag" on the screen, then either the boot loader files are damaged or one or more of the core Windows files are damaged.

My suspicion would be that the hard drive is failing and that is causing the file damage.

Try pressing the Esc key repeatedly while booting your PC and when the HP utilities menu comes up, choose drive diagnostics. You should see a menu looking something like the one below:

HP Startup Menu.jpg

Try pressing F2 then to run the system diagnostics to see if your drive is failing.

Please report back the results.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

WAWood  

I tried what you suggested and now I have a screen that says

Please select a boot device:

ST31000528AS

hp CDDVDW TS-H653R

Realtek PXE B02 DOO

arrows to move selection

ENTER to select boot device

F4 to boot using defaults

What should I select?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Mango2

Pressing the Esc key repeatedly SHOULD get you the Utilities menu as displayed.

Pressing F9 will get you the Boot Devices menu -- which is the one you are seeing.

If pressing Esc is not getting the Utilities menu, then try pressing F2 repeatedly to see if that will bring up the Diagnostics menu.

Good Luck

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I pressed escape repeatedly - nothing.  Then I pressed f2 repeatedly - nothing.  Then I pressed f9 and Advanced  Boot Options is now on the screen .   Any other ideas?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Mango2

If you can't get to the Utilities menu to run diagnostics, there is nothing we can do from here to determine what is wrong with your PC -- leaving us to guess.

So, the most likely culprits are the followingI (1) failing hard drive -- especially true in a PC that is 5 years old or older and has been used daily, (2) corrupted Boot Loader files (can be fixed if (1) is not true), (3) corrupted Windows files -- not easily fixed.

To address (2) you will need access to a working PC for this step in order to create the media needed to repair your PC boot loader.

You will need to create something known as a Win7 Repair CD.  This will repair the boot loader files, and if that is the problem, your PC will boot OK after that.  This can be obtained (for a fee) from this link:  http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

When you download this file, it will be an ISO file.

To make a bootable CD from it, you will need to download and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/

Once you have that installed, run it, select the option "Write image file to disc" and select the ISO file you downloaded, and point it to a blank CD.

To make a bootable USB stick from it, you will need to download and install RUFUS: https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Once you have that, run it, in the Device entry, use the pulldown to select the USB stick.  Down near the bottom right, where is says "Create a bootable disk using", select the ISO file you downloaded.
-------------------------------------

Boot from the media you created, and follow the directions in this link: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html

You will probably have to run Startup Repair three times for it to fix all the boot loader problems.

When done, your PC should boot OK. If it does not, there is a more serious problem -- more likely (3) from above, and with a Win7 PC that is really hard to fix.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation