Level 2
23 17 0 0
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No boot disk or disk failed

Pavilion All In One 20-b010
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

One night working fine the next moning will not boot up.  No boot disk or failed disk error. The memory diagnosic test is good the hard drive test is good.  I have set the BIOS back to default.  I have created a bootable USB drive also a bootable CD but it will not recognoize either.  I have tried all that I know to try,

Any ideas for a solution will be appreciated.  I installed windows 7 pro as I did not like windows 8.  That was some months ago and has been working perfectly until a couple of days ago.

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> No boot disk or failed disk error.

The motherboard tries to "boot" from several sources:

• internal CD/DVD
  • external CD/DVD with USB interface
  • floppy-disk
  • USB memory-stick
  • network, by communicating with a "boot-server" (usually found only inside a corporate network)
  • disk-drive

Your computer has failed to find ANY of the above choices, which implies that your disk-drive has failed.

If the HP Warranty is still in effect, contact HP, to get them to replace it.

If the HP Warranty has expired, take the computer to a local computer-store, to get them to:

• physically remove the disk-drive
  • sell you a compatible disk-drive
  • physically connect it
  • install Windows
  • run Windows Update, repeatedly
  • try to "rescue" any files from the current disk-drive

Good luck!

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
23 17 0 0
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.  Are you telling me that even though diagnostics found no error with the hard drive it may still be fried?  If so is there a way I can have windows 7 booted from a 500 gig external drive.  wiil the computer recognize it instead of the fried internal drive?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1. No boot disk or failed disk error. The ... hard drive test is good. 

2. Are you telling me that even though diagnostics found no error with the hard drive it may still be fried? 

3. If so is there a way I can have windows 7 booted from a 500 gig external drive.  wiil the computer recognize it instead of the fried internal drive?

1. The test reads/writes to the physical storage area, to confirm that the recording-surface is OK.

The test does not "walk" through the file-system, to confirm that the "logical" structure is OK.

The "check-disk" ('CHKDSK') command does that.

The test does not check that the first few blocks of data on the disk-drive are the "boot" records - the records that "bootstrap" the loading of the rest of Windows.

2. Maybe not "fried" -- maybe just those "boot" records have been overwritten, such that those records are NOT being recognized as being a "bootable" device.

3. No.  What you could do is to physically remove the disk-drive, and then connect it as a "secondary" disk-drive in some other computer.  Then, while running Windows from the "primary" disk-drive on that computer, try to access the files/folders on the "secondary" disk-drive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I have created a bootable USB drive also a bootable CD but it will not recognoize either. 

Within BIOS SETUP, you can choose which of the connected devices will be used to "boot" the computer, and also in which order -- you want #1:USB / #2:CD / #3:disk-drive -- those devices will be checked.  What is the current list of "eligible" devices, and what is the current "order" within the list?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
23 17 0 0
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I took the hard drive out and used a bootable usb to install windows 7 pro.  Same problem will not boot.  I tried to more bootable programa on usb and cd but it will not boot anything.  Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I took the hard drive out

I presume that you added-in a brand-new & "blank" disk-drive ???

> and used a bootable usb to install windows 7 pro. 

I presume that this was successful ???

If not, did the computer boot from the USB, and start to copy files from the USB stick onto the new disk-drive?

At some point, the installer would announce that it needed to reboot, to continue the installation.

At that point, did you detach the USB stick, so that the reboot would load from the new disk-drive?

Did that "reboot" actually boot from the files on the new disk-drive?

> Same problem will not boot. 

Will not boot from what?  USB? CD/DVD? new disk-drive?

Enter BIOS SETUP.

Is the new disk-drive listed as an "eligible" source in the "boot order" ?

> I tried to more bootable programa on usb and cd but it will not boot anything. 

Does your BIOS SETUP allow booting from "legacy" sources, such as stored on those older USB & CD media?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
23 17 0 0
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The hard drive that I installed was one that I had been using in a hard drive dock and the hard drive was used for storage of files.  I copied the files onto another hard drive and then reformatted the hard drive from the dock and installed it into the the All In One that had quit booting.  So no the hard drive was not a new hard drive.

I then created a thumb drive with  a bootable windows 7 pro. I tested it on another computer to insure that it was bootable and it was.  I am experieced in doing that.

The All In One would not recognize it as being bootable.  Same message as before.  I set the Bios to default and no go.  I set the Bios to specifically boot from the  USB and it would not recognize it.  Same message as before.

A question for you?  I have another HP computer that is  a desj top and not an All In One.  It is fully functional and has Windows 7 Ultimate as an operatation system.  If I removed it and installed it in the All In One would that fix the problem with the All In One not booting and if it didn't will the hard drive still work fine when I put it back in the desk top that I took it from?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I have another HP computer that is a desktop and not an All In One. 

> It is fully functional, and has Windows 7 Ultimate as an operating system. 

> If I removed it and installed it in the All In One, would that fix the problem with the All In One not booting

Probably not. If it does start to boot, then it should recognize the changed hardware, and should load the required device-drivers, and should complete the boot process.

> if it didn't, will the hard drive still work fine, when I put it back in the desktop that I took it from?

Depends.  If it totally failed to start booting on the All-In-One, none of the files on it will be changed, and "returning" to the original system should be painless.

If it previously boot on the All-In-One, then, back in the original system, it should recognize the changed (back to the original) hardware, and should load the required device-drivers, and should complete the boot process.

Check your BIOS setup for "legacy" versus "non-legacy" booting.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
23 17 0 0
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks but nothing will boot.  Now my HP Compaq dc5700 is down as the cooling fan quit working.  I have it tore open and also have the All In One torn open.  I have ordered a new cooling fan for the Compaq as well as a new DVD writer as it had quit working sometime ago.  While I was ordering I ordered the identical hard drive that was in the All In One.  Maybe it will allow an identical hard drive to boot.  If he doesn't I will have an extra new hard drive on my hands.  The parts should be here prior to the middle of the month.  I will get back to you then and let you know if it fixed the booting problem with the All In One.

Thanks again guys for trying  to help.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation