cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CW3000
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Only Safe Mode without networking works, how do I fix it?

HP Recommended
Pavilion 550-103na, desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My desktop is stuck booting up, just get to the HP logo with the “hour glass”, no further. Tried safe mode but don’t get much out of it, unfortunately safe mode with networking doesn’t work so I can’t try updating any drivers. Did a Windows reinstall but it didn’t help. Also tried a BIOS upgrade but it won’t kick in for some reason, still have the VA0.11 version instead of the latest available, VA0.13. 

Might be be of interest that the initial problem, that I tried to solve, was that after normal boot up the start screen (the desktop) flickered, 1-2 seconds normal, 1-2 seconds black screen, and it went on and on like that until I restarted. No way to start up any applications. Hence the attempts to start via safe mode. When I did Ctrl-alt-del, the menu and the task manager did, however, not flicker, whatever that means in terms of software failure or hardware failure.  

Any idea what I have broken and how I best fix it? I guess safe mode with networking is a good start but why won’t that work? I'm using a network cable and nothing wrong with the network.

thanks for any good idea!

173F3304-31AE-4FA6-8CC2-2EA683D672D5.jpeg 

5 REPLIES 5
Raj1788
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,683 11,674 582 663
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@CW3000

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I understand that the computer is not booting up when connected to the network, need not worry I'll be glad to assist you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

When was the computer working for the last time?

Have you tried regular booting the computer without the network cable connected?

I suggest you run system restore in safe mode to the last working day.

To open system restore in safe mode.

1. Boot your computer. 
  2. Press the F8 key before the Windows logo appears on your screen. 
  3. At Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode with Command Prompt. ... 
  4. Press Enter. 
  5. Type: rstrui.exe. 
  6. Press Enter.

Click on this link: https://hp.care/2wYMB2R to use Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 😎

Keep me posted, how it goes! 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

0 Kudos
CW3000
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you, I tried with and w/o network cable but normal boot does not work. I also tried Safe mode with Command Prompt but it would not allow me to Run the exe file because system protection is turned off. 

IMG_3270.JPG

I think it worked on the 20-21 of May, for sure it did not work on the 22nd. I did the Windows reinstall after that, on June 3rd so I can't see any longer what applications that might have been updated around the 20-22 of May I am afraid. 

This is the device manager situation, same as before I reinstalled if I remember correctly. All problems might be connected to booting in Safe mode I guess.

IMG_3272.JPG

0 Kudos
Raj1788
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,683 11,674 582 663
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@CW3000,

Thanks for the reply,

Appreciate your time and efforts.

Let's Perform a system reset through Settings

Use this link: https://hp.care/2ycccrW to Perform a system reset through Settings

If the issue persists, I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for one on one interaction. 

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: https://hp.care/2uJxnug

Step 2. Sign in / sign in as a guest

Step 3. Enter the product number or select to auto detect

Step 4. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 5. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

Keep me posted on further assistance. Hope that helps! 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

0 Kudos
CW3000
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks but Recovery / Reset this PC is not available in Safe mode I'm afraid... I guess I'll try a few more things and then perhaps call the support as you suggested. You don't think a BIOS upgrade is the problem then?

kind regards Christian

0 Kudos
Raj1788
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,683 11,674 582 663
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@CW3000

Thanks for the reply,

There is no harm in updating the BIOS, Perform the BIOS update using this link: https://hp.care/2ye8bmE

If the issue persists, contact HP Phone Support.

Have a great a day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation