Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pc won't boot

How pavilion 500-164
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hard drive disk optimization failed
Failure I'd: 90ef7v-7188r9-wptwxa-61tg03
Product I'd: h6u14aa#aba

What does this mean? And is there a way to fix it?
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pc won't boot

Hi 

Not following what hard disk drive optimization failed means.

The error code you received usually means the HDD is failing or has failed. You may have to replace the HDD.

Can you POST and load Windows now?

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pc won't boot

No it won't boot. It starts checking drive for errors and never gets past 8%. Left it running for over 24 hours just to see if it would get further.
Error code is from the uefi diagnostic.

If I get a new hard drive, will I have to purchase a copy of windows 10 or is there a way to transfer it? Pc had windows 8 when I bought it and it upgraded
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pc won't boot

Hi 

You can download Windows 10 installation Media here.

You can then install Windows 10 on the new HDD or SSD with the downloaded installation media and use the digital entitlement Microsoft gave you concurrent with the Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. 

The catch is Microsoft is now offering the Fall Creator's Update (version 1709) at this site.

Don't know what version of Windows 10 you were using. Could be 1703 or a version from 2016.

The new version may not play nice with your hardware.

It would be good to know if you have your HP Recovery Media. You may have to go back to the HP factory operating system if the latest version of Windows 10 does not install correctly.

You could try to recover data on the failing HDD by connecting to a USB caddy (attach to your PC or to a different PC) or physically installing the failing HDD in a your fresh Windows 10 install (if it works) on an internal tertiary system SATA port.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
5,904 5,889 204 520
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pc won't boot

Hi

ADJUST SECURE/LEGACY BOOT & BOOT ORDER AS NEEDED.

If you can make a USB version of W10 from MS and it is large enough you may be able to find/recover your User\Data.

Your system will have been registered with MS and a Hardware change wont invalidate your W10 licence, but it may not get immediate automatic authorisation.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation