cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Power on issues

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion TouchSmart 23-f202in
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago, the system tray clock began displaying time incorrectly. I noticed that the time being displayed at startup was the same time as that when I had shut down the PC previously. Syncing with internet time, uninstalling CMOS from Device Manager in Safe Mode and restarting, and manually updating the time in the Boot menu all proved to be temporary fixes. When the PC was restarted, the time would revert to the last shut down time.

The HP tech guy came and had a look and replaced the CMOS battery but the problem is persisting, although now the system automatically syncs and corrects the time on its own within a minute or so after logging in, with an active internet connection. I don't have to correct it manually anymore. But, I have observed a couple of new things -

1) I normally shut down the PC and then turn off the wall power switch as well. Then later when I turn on the wall power switch and then the PC, the POWER button on the side of the PC lights up, the DVD tray makes its usual clicking sounds and then the POWER light goes off. It then flickers on and off (over 5-8 seconds) and then finally remains lit steadily and the system boots normally. I have made sure the adapter cable was securely plugged in at all ends.

2) If I shut down the PC but leave the wall power switch on, there is no issue when I turn the system on again after a while. It boots quickly and the time (at least most of the time) remains properly synced as well.

What could this be a result of? Please help!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
5,216 5,204 270 384
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Avadhani

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

Flower_Bud is at your service.

As I understand, your PC takes time to boot after you disconnect the charger from the wall outlet and reconnect it again to start up the PC, 

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

When was the last time it worked fine?

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps? 

Have you tried connecting the charger to a different wall outlet? If not, I would suggest you try connecting the charger to a different wall outlet and check the functionality.

Also, try these steps to resolve the issue: 

Run System Test: 

• Press the Power button to turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second, until you see HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI.
  • From the UEFI main menu, click System Tests, then click Quick Test.
  • Click Run once.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen. The test can take up to 15 minutes.
  • If no system component failed, please go back to main menu and Exit from the screen.

BIOS default: 

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

BIOS update: Follow steps from the link and perform a BIOS update.

Let me know how this goes,

Cheers!

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for advising on this matter and apologies for my tardy reply.

When was the last time it worked fine?

A. It worked fine up to around early Oct 2018

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps? 

A. The only troubleshooting steps were the ones done by the HP tech guy who replaced the CMOS battery.

Have you tried connecting the charger to a different wall outlet? If not, I would suggest you try connecting the charger to a different wall outlet and check the functionality.

A. Yes. I connected the charger to different wall outlets. The issue remains. I'm thinking it may be something with the charger/adapter.

I will run the system tests and post the results in a day or two.

Edit: What exactly happens is this -

1.If I turn off the wall switch and wait for the light in the adapter to fad out then turn the wall switch on and press Power, the Power lights up for a brief instant and then shuts down. It flicks back on again and then shuts down a second time. Finally the power turns on again and this time the booting process is successful.

2. If I don't turn off the wall switch (the adapter stays lit), then I have no problem with switching the machine on. Just one press of the side power button and it lights up and boots.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation