timetron
Level 2
19 17 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Red beeps on computer when starting up

HP Recommended
Hp compaq pro sff
I recently tried putting parts, the graphics card I put in the ram, and the hard drive, into a new computer I was trying to build. The new computer didn't work, so I was trying to put them back into this computer. When I tried turning it on, it started blinking red and it beeped 5 times. It originally had 2 sticks of ram in it that I was trying to put in the new computer. I tried putting them in seperately, but both of them caused the beeping, aND it beeps when there's no ram sticks in it. Is this because of the ram, or the motherboard? If it's the motherboard, can someone help me in finding out what motherboard I'd need to get to replace it?
4 REPLIES 4
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,721 24,373 2,847 10,414
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@timetron, welcome to the forum.

The 5 beeps and 5 LED flashes seems to be telling you that there is a problem with the memory.  Here is a guide for LED and Beep codes.  You should look at the section appropriate for your computer.  Since I didn't have the full model or product number for the computer I can't give you the exact section to review.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
0 Kudos
timetron
Author
Level 2
19 17 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
So it's most likely that I ruined the ram? Since it would give a different amount of beeps if the mb were ruined
0 Kudos
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,721 24,373 2,847 10,414
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @timetron.

I can't say for certain that the memory is ruined, but all indications say they may be damaged.  If you tried to install them into sockets that weren't compatible it can happen.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
0 Kudos
timetron
Author
Level 2
19 17 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I ordered a new ram stick today and it's still beeping when I put only that one in
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation