Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Start up issues

I have an hp pavilion and it has worked fine until a couple days ago. for some reason now when I turn the computer on the white led light on front doesn't come on and it's not showing anything on the screen but the fan is running and the green light on the back is on. I can open the CD Rom compartments but that's about it. I've tried restarting it and making sure there isn't to much build up on the fan but still no luck. Is the hard drive fried? Please help all my work is on here!!
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 830 1,479
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Start up issues

@Babyblu614

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to assist.

I understand that you have an HP computer and it receives power and does not boot to Windows. 

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Please let me know the exact computer model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l
  • Did any hardware changes or software changes happen on the computer after which this issue may have started?

Please feel free to reply with the information. Eager to help. 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Start up issues

Hello,

I have a HP 300 touchscreen and integrated TV. When I power ir in the fan comes on and nothing else, no puicture.

Any advice?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 830 1,479
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Start up issues

@HSAS

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP TouchSmart 300 series all in one PC. I read that the PC powers on and the fan comes up and there is no display. Not worry, I'll do my best to help you. 

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Please let me know the exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l
  • Did any hardware changes take place on the PC?
  • Did any software changes or updates happen on the PC?
  • Do you see any lights blinking on the keyboard?

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Press and hold the power button to power off the PC.
  • Disconnect all cables and devices on the PC. Also, disconnect the power cord. 
  • Press and hold the power button of the PC for 10 seconds and then release it.
  • Reconnect the keyboard, mouse and the power cable and power on the PC.

If the issue persists then please refer to this no boot troubleshooter guide. These steps help in fixing such no boot related issues. 

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Keep me posted. Good luck! 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Start up issues

> When I turn the computer on the white led light on front doesn't come on

That is "bad news".

> and it's not showing anything on the screen

No "report" about the CPU / RAM / et cetera, or no "splash" screen?

That indicates that the problem is with the RAM, the CPU, the motherboard, or the power-supply.

It is extremely rare that the CPU or the RAM has failed.

> The fan is running and the green light on the back is on.

> I can open the CD Rom compartments,

The power-supply needs to output several different voltages.

It is possible that it is failing -- not doing 100% of what it should be doing.

So, it is most-likely that your symptoms point to a failed motherboard.

> Is the hard drive fried? Please help all my work is on here!! 

The "good news" is that your disk-drive probably is completely OK.

The hardware's "start-up" process, including the POST (Power On Self Test) has not successfully completed.

It must successfully complete before the anything on the disk-drive is "touched".

The "good news" is that your disk-drive probably is completely OK.

So, how old is the computer?  How old is the disk-drive?  (It's probably a few years out-of-warranty.)

Trying to replace the HP motherboard with an identical purchased-from-HP motherboard can cost 50% to 70% of what you originally paid for the computer.  Ouch!

Sometimes, a search on eBay will find an *identical* motherboard, for under $100.

A new computer might be in your immediate future.

The good news is that you can connect your current disk-drive as a "secondary" disk-drive, and copy all your files onto the new (and probably much more "reliable") disk-drive.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation